Wednesday, December 21, 2005

It's a gay old life...

We are rushing towards Christmas now and, by the same token, to the end of our days but let's not dwell on that...

"2112" - a great album by Rush....(it's 21st December - 2112 - geddit??)

One thing I did today was to go through all the questions I copied from the net recently re the Big Xmas Quiz I've been roped into organising at Anne's sister's on Xmas day....

I deleted all those deemed to be "too hard" or irrelevant (I stole them from a Spanish Pub Quiz website so quite a few would only be relevant if you lived or were brought up in Spain)...

I then graded them in difficulty from 4 down to 1. Still don't know how this'll work on the day - I'm thinking of something like either University Challenge (with starter questions and then themed questions) or that old Football Quiz from the late 60's early 70's whose name has just this very minute popped into my head, "Quizball"....over to Google and, Bob's your uncle...



The aim is to score a goal but you can take route 1,2,3 or 4. Each route involves answering the number of questions alluded to in its name. I believe that this is where the well worn football cliche "Route 1" came from...

Here's what the Quizball fansite says:-

"A quiz programme screened on BBC1 in it's evening schedule featured a team of four representing a football team from either the English or Scottish League and were allowed a guest supporter.

There were four routes to goal: 4 easy questions, 3 medium questions, 2 difficult questions and 1 hard question.

After winning the opening kick off question the player chose a route to goal and answered the questions.

The opposing team had one chance to tackle the player going to goal by pressing a buzzer prior to the player answering their last question. If they got it right they won possession but if it was wrong the challenge was unsuccessful and a goal was scored.

The route 1 question was not subject to tackle"

More info - including all teams and results can be found here:-
http://www.btinternet.com/~m.d.pratesi/mp/quizballindex.html

Yup, Quizball it shall be...

I did this whilst listening to the very, very excellent 2CD set "Against The Clock", a personally selected best of from my second favourite guitarist, Allan Holdsworth...



This is a man who is held in awe by the likes of John McLaughlin, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and, really, any of the world's "great" guitarists....

He is virtually unknown outside his own fanbase and the world of guitarists but was a member of such bands as Tony Williams' Lifetime, Soft Machine, Gong, UK, Bruford and erm, Level 42....

I have all the tracks bar eight of the 26 contained in this collection but they've all been personally remastered by Mr Holdsworth himself with much attention to detail. If you want to know what it sounds like you can listen to some extracts here:-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007S680Q/qid=1135327401/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0556966-5583819?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

In the evening Anne and I drove out to Loanhead to visit my mum and sister Pam who has just arrived from recently-made-famous-by-large-explosion Hemel Hempstead...

Upon arrival I was immediately subjected to a tirade from "Dr Mrs Mum" as I had decided to try and walk without my crutches this evening (I say walk - this involved going from the house to the car, from the car to my mum's house, from my mum's house back to the car, from the car into a restaurant, from the restaurant back to the car, from the car to my mum's house, from my mum's house back to the car, from the car back to our house - a total of probably fewer than 50 metres)....

I also enjoyed using my mum's Stena Stairlift to go up and down the stairs to the bathroom!!

Anyway, Pam kept us entertained with tales of bing hit on by lesbians at parties - she insists she's not gay and is, au contraire, happily married. However she's just been teamed up with a lesbian at her work who was previously happily married and has three kids to show for it...

Even if Pam was a lesbian I wouldn't mind. I have nothing but admiration for people who are openly gay and nothing but sympathy for those yet to come out due to society's seemingly ingrained homophobia...

The topic came up as we discussed Elton John, and many other less well known people choosing to cement their relationships today in what have been dubbed "gay marriages". Good on them I say...

The meal was fun - at one of my mum's favourite haunts. We always refer to it as the-place-that's-shut-down-after-Health-and-Safety-raided-the kitchen-and-which-will-never-open-again since that's how my mum described the proprietor's predicament some years ago - just before it re-opened for business...

On the way home, we listened to Bach on Radio 3 - they're playing every single J.S. Bach work ever written all the way up to Xmas - this is no bad thing....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DDHR, I remember watching Hearts on Quizball, when I were very young. Checking the stats of the website, I note that their 'guest supporter' was Eric Brown. Could this be the same man who owned the legendary eponymous music venue near Tynecastle that played host to gigs by Eighties legends The Associates and The Capital Models?

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Indeed it was the very same Mr Brown. Ah the good old days

"You can catch Capital Models at the Grassmarket Fstival on Saturday" (c) Mitch Mitchell 1980