Monday, January 07, 2008

What's new?

Playlist
Allan Holdsworth - Hard Hat Area
The Bad Plus - Prog
Bryan Ferry - Dylanesque
Flower Kings - The Rainmaker
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Editors - An End Has a Start

To HMV today and I was tempted by two "recent" and "acclaimed" albums, one by American band My Chemical Romance and one by UK combo Editors...

I am advised that the former is music for kids and the latter is for the more mature listener...

I much prefer the Chemical Romance album for the simple reason that it's not wearing its influences so openly upon its sleeve - which is not to say influences are not apparent...



Editors is music which Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen and even U2 might well be making in 2007 (or 2008) had they not died/moved on since 1980...



It's one of those albums which, when I now hear anyone praising it, I will need to send them off to listen to "Closer", "Heaven Up Here" or "Boy" to show them how it should be done...

But what do I want in new music?

Things which hark back to stuff I already like or new good stuff which reminds of nothing and which is merely, subjectively, "good" in itself?

I like Editors' album but after a while the sub JD, E&TB drum beats and the Ian Curtis/Ian McCulloch vocalisations grate...

So it's My Chemical Romance 1 Editors 0...

Also heard a track from the new Biffy Clyro LP "Puzzle", which much impressed - one to come back to perhaps?

Elsewhere, managed to reduce my TV intake back to just 2 x "Coronation St" and "University Challenge", spending the rest of the evening listening to "new" music and reading my newly received for Xmas from my Executive Producer, Alice Cooper autobiography, "Golf Monster"...

Highlight of the Day : New music

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey big D, happy 2008 'n all.
I've dug out my U2 cd's 'Boy', 'War' & 'The Unforgettable Fire', re-ignighting an interest inn U2's earlier work. Sounding good.
All the best for said New Year.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Cheers Mr Disco - right back at you!!


have a listen to early Echo & the Bunnymen too if you can - they were U2's "big sound" template I seem to recall from having lived through the time in question...

Anonymous said...

I have Crocodiles...but i'm taking cream for it.

Badoom.