Wednesday, January 09, 2008

How beautiful are these days...

Playlist
Alice Cooper - Flush the Fashion
Alice Cooper - Special Forces
Alice Cooper - Zipper Ctahches Skin
Alice Cooper - DaDa
Sam Baker - Pretty World
Phillip Glass - Notes on a Scandal OST
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Various - Give Peace a Chance
Various - OK Computer

Last night saw the return of both "CSI" and "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" both of which were enjoyed at Crispycat Towers - although we made a note to perhaps record them in future as the ad breaks on Channel 5 are interminable...

I've been reading Alice Cooper's book "Golf Monster"...



...which, for a lifelong fan like me, is a great read. He reveals he has no recollection whatsoever of the years 1980-1983, during which he wrote and recorded four albums - so, today, I listened to them...

They are, of course, all good (says me anyway)...

All in all though, I think I prefer Michael Bruce's book re the original Alice Cooper Group, which Alice disbanded in 1974...



Elsewhere, visited FOPP today and spent some cash on three of these four...



The excellent Sam Baker album came via e-bay - he's a deaf Texan who sings maudlin country like a drunken Lou Reed - oh yes!

LCD Soundsystem was up for grabs for a fiver and is in many of the 2007 albums of the year lists from the more, shall we say "hip" side of the fence...

It's quite good actually - hints of T Heads, Human League, Steve Reich/Phillip Glass and various other 70s & 80s heroes...

I thought I had his 1st LP but, upon looking for it found nothing between Avril Lavigne and Led Zeppelin...

I have the Yes concert film on video but it was worth £3 for the extras...

That's how my mind works...

Late on. I finally got round to opening and listening to the two free CDs I got on Arran with the music mags "Uncut" and "Mojo" - as with all such discs, there is some stuff which takes my fancy and the occasional terrible piece of rubbish...

Whilst listening we watched "How Much Does Britain Earn?" which provided the occasional eye-opener...

The highest paid 20,000 people in the country earn the same in total as the lowest paid 20,000,000 people in the country...

There are just as many people in domestic service now as there were in 1860 - though presumably now, they are actually paid for their services...

30 years ago the average chief exec of a company earned 9 times that of their workers. These days that differential has widened to 100 times...

What a great country we live in indeed...

Highlight of the Day : New Music again...

No comments: