Sunday, January 27, 2008

Quiet, loud, quiet, loud etc etc

Playlist
It Bites – The Big Lad in the Windmill
It Bites – Once Around the World
It Bites – Eat Me In St Louis
Francis Dunnery – It Bites (CD-R)
James – Laid
James – Millionaires
James – Pleased to Meet You
Handel – 10 Concerti Grossi
Various – Motown Dance Party
Dave Edmunds – Subtle As a Flying Mallet
Explosions in the Sky – All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

Up early again - and spent some time transferring CDs onto the Jukebox again...

I suddenly rediscovered the brilliance of It Bites and dug out all their CD singles to add too...

Made a couple of lists of early 1970’s music for no reason in particular other than I like to remember those simple times when all I did was play football in the park and listen to records in my room...

Breakfast at 10:30, then out to the Dean Gallery as they had a small exhibition of surrealism – however, the main exhibition was of the work of architect Sir Basil Spence, father of much of what is worst of 1960’s architecture and designer of, amongst other things, Coventry Cathedral and the Crematorium where my dad was cremated almost five years ago – and where I’ve seen many others dispatched too...



Lovely mushroom and tarragon soup for lunch in the café...

Back home I listened to music while Anne watched footie before I took her to her mum’s for the family tea which, tonight I missed...

I was off to Glasgow for the Texan four piece, Explosions in the Sky...

Count Brodski ought to have been with me but a clash with a Polish (not Czech - thanks Mr Stu Cobley) stag weekend in Krakow won the day...

Opening act was Matthew Cooper from Portland, Oregon who goes by the name Eluvium – just him, his guitar, some piano sounds, a laptop and some looping technology – I was impressed!

Explosions in the Sky played for over 90 minutes virtually non-stop, moving from very quiet to very loud over and over again with high register guitar lines and non-continuous rhythmic drumming – by the time they finished I’d had enough really – but that didn’t stop me from listening to their LP in the car on the way home (as I had done going) and, generally liking their music and admiring their prowess...



What annoyed me most was (as usual with gigs these days) the audience, with their constant wandering to and fro and incessant chatter to each other and texting on their phones – whatever happened to respecting the performer?

Home and checked e-bay – far too many of my bids have been successful and there will be a few CDs popping through the door over the next week or so...

Highlight of the Day : Rediscovering It Bites

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really get annoyed as well by people incessantly taking photos at gigs...!

what?

oh....


:-)


aye thang u!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

The pic was taken from EITS's website not the gig Jimbo. I too find incessant picture taking at gigs annoying. I have done it in the past though but have now seen the error of my ways.

You are a cheeky Monkey