Friday, December 08, 2006

Vacuous...

Playlist
Genesis – And Then There Were Three

One album only today – one which always takes me back to my first visit to Knebworth in June 1978– where I saw Genesis play a superb set...

My second and last visit to “the big field” was later the same year to see The Tubes headline over Frank Zappa and Peter Gabriel...

I’ve never attended a festival since and they really hold zero allure for me now, no matter who’s playing...

Anyway, for me, “And Then There Were Three” was the last Genesis album which even came close to the true spirit of what had been the band...

All afternoon and evening was spent with the people who finance my life of opulence. Initially for a meal at the excellent No 3 restaurant with acceptable friends and colleagues, we then moved on to the drinking hole of choice of the self described “beautiful people” of Edinburgh, Tiger Lily...

I’m sorry to say that, had a bomb gone off on the premises and everyone had been killed, it would not have made much difference to humanity. Certainly, very little actual brain capacity would have disappeared from the planet....

Seldom (ok not since the last time I was in Tiger Lily) have I come across such a bunch of self absorbed children-of-people-who-actually-did-something-to-make-their-money....

A case in point was a so-called software millionnaire whose company is expected to float for a billion pounds before the end of the decade - turns out it was his dad who actually designed the software while the son does what many in his position do – he’s in charge of sales and marketing for his dad’s company – I doubt if he could hold down a job at ASDA to be honest – which is no slight on ASDA’s workers btw...

I advised a 23 year old, ahem, “property developer” whose last CD purchased was “James Brown’s Greatest Hits” to get up a bit earlier than the usual mid-afternoon tomorrow and get herself to HMV to purchase a copy of Bartok’s String Quartets...

By 8:30 I’d been drinking for around eight hours but still had the presence of mind to think “what am I doing here with these people?” before heading home, not in my Porsche but on the Airport bus...

Rounded off the evening with some telly - including Girls Aloud on Jonathon Ross, sadly, not singing, just talking – and glad to be home amongst the “normal” people again...

Highlight of the Day : Knowing I am better than the Tiger Lily crowd...

No comments: