Friday, December 01, 2006

Selfish...

Playlist
Asia – Asia
Asia – Alpha
Wetton Downes – Icon II Rubicon
TV On The Radio – Downloaded MP3s
Dave Mathews Band – Stand Up
Mozart – Complete Works (Apollo et Hyacinthus)
Sarah Harmer – Sarah Harmer (CD-R)
Grand Funk – Phoenix

Anne’s off out tonight to the first Christmas Party of the season. It’s been organised by her best friend Lynn’s elder sister and there’s a group of lovely ladies going out on the town....

Having driven yesterday, I am on taxi duty tonight with orders to be at the venue by 1am to pick them up and take them home...

Anne’s friends are concerned about me having to come out so late but Anne assures them it’s not a problem as she knows, if I could, I would stay up all night...

The evening flys past as I sit at the computer listening to music. Then downstairs to give the Wetton Downes CD its first listen on the main hi-fi – it sounds really good...

As is my wont in such a situation, I watch the TV with the sound down – looks rubbish...

Meg the Black Cat lies beside me sleeping....

Around midnight I find and download Grand Funk’s 1972 album “Phoenix”. This is the one where they changed their name from Grand Funk Railroad to just Grand Funk following their acrimonious split from their manager and producer, Terry Knight. He appears to have earned a lot more from the band’s fist three (most successful) years than any of its members did...

I burn the disc and listen in the car as I drive to pick up the inebriated girls and then chauffeur them around town to their homes...

Once home, Anne and I watch tonight’s two episodes of “Coronation St” before hitting the sack...

Highlight of the Day : Doing exactly as I please...

2 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Excellent stuff Ms Low - I used to have a Hunters and Collectors album way back when...

My first Aussie love was of course the Church. Once I'd discovered them , I used to be on the lookout for other bands from Oz....

A favourite was The Models - their album "Local and/or General" was brilliant I remember...

And of course one of my all time faves is Icehouse - first heard in a bar in Amsterdam in 1981 or 82..

I also once owned an Inxs record before they were known here - the one with the blue beach and people on the front - a drawing of them that is...

Thanks for the heads up...

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Just found the Models' "2 cabs to the toucan" though it seems a different mix from what I remember - oh and "local and/or general" too - unbe-bloody-lievable..

thanks for jogging my memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_cB7etnrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WbwGctS-E

I think I had The Models before The Church - I think I bught their album because I'd just been in a group called Capital Models...