Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Racing snowmen and reindeers...

Playlist
Pet Shop Boys – A Life in Pop (DVD)
Girls Aloud – Girls on Film (DVD)
Cloudland Blue Quartet – The Acoustic Ersatzreal
Pet Shop Boys - Discography Vol 2 (CD-R)

Another night with practically no sleep...

I found myself watching DVDs at 4:30 in the morning after spending the night unable to get off to sleep...

The Pet Shop Boys was very revealing and rekindled my love for their music - their song "Being Boring" is one of very few which can reduce me to tears it's just so good and, with the event of AIDS, their cover of Village People's "Go West" takes on a whole new meaning...

And of course, I'm in a bit of a Girls Aloud frenzy - in fact when I'm trying to sleep, one of the problems is their tunes going round and round in my head....

Anne managed to get some sleep though and when she rose we had breakfast then we watched the hour long Christmas Day “Coronation St” from last night...

By then I was completely knackered and went to bed to try and finally get some sleep...

I had been meaning to go round to Anne’s sister Jane’s while Anne went to the Hearts v Hibs derby at Tynecastle with her mum – the whole family was to met at Janes’s for the Boxing Day meal...

I finally got a couple of hours’ sleep then woke and tracked the score on the BBC’s website – a 3-2 win for Hearts...

Anne came back home for me at 5 and we drove round to Jane and Bobby’s. As ever the meal was fantastic – deep fried king prawns in batter and marinated chicken kebabs as appetisers, followed by a choice of sirloin beef or stuffed salmon with asparagus, accompanied by sautéed onions and mushrooms and potatoes roasted in goose fat...

This was followed by marshmallows or pineapple dipped in a chocolate fountain or rich white chocolate cheesecake and then cheese and biscuits and coffee...




There were of course crackers, each of which held a mechanical snowman, santa or reindeer and we had a tournament to see who’s was the fastest...



Anne’s snowman was the champion....



After the meal we had our annual family secret santa (beer glasses for me – a curry cookbook for Anne) then we played a musical intros quiz which our nephew Craig had prepared from the tracks on his I Pod, followed by Who Wants to be A Millionaire from a DVD...

By 10:30 we were knackered and it was time for our nephew Ollie to go to bed – so we took Anne’s mum and Craig home as Keith and Maureen got a taxi in the other direction...

From the way I was feeling when we got home, I knew there’d be very little sleep again tonight and it looks like Anne’s also now coming down with this very annoying infection...

A good but very tiring day – I think I’ve only had around eight hours’ sleep, if that, all told since the night of the 23rd...

Highlight of the Day : Jane’s cooking

No comments: