Sunday, December 10, 2006

Away into oblivion...

Playlist
Grandaddy – Just Like the Fambly Cat
Keith Jarrett – Koln Concert
Matching Mole – Matching Mole
Be Bop Deluxe – Modern Music
Robert Fripp – DGM Downloads
King Crimson - DGM Downloads
RheostaticsVarious Live Downloads
Rheostatics – Barrymore’s Ottowa 23/05/96

Up at an ungodly 5am but I just can’t sleep – the cold symptoms have added to the general discomfort of my sore arm(s) and, even now, more than a year on, the left ankle (several times this past week I’ve had to pull myself up whilst walking due to sharp pains in the leg)...

On Wednesday, I am due to see the surgeon re any progress on my arm and I’ll take the opportunity to ask about the leg – of course they have told me in the past that it’ll take at least two years for it to be “back to normal” – and six months for the arm....

Anyway, enough of these pathetic woes, I go downstairs and watch the end of last night’s film and then “Red Planet” which I taped a few weeks ago – although I am pretty sure I’d seen it before...

At 8 I loaded the new Grandaddy album into the CD Walkman and went back to bed...

Finally rose again around 12:30 having wasted half the day...

As Anne listened to the radio, I updated my pictures blog (I can’t seem to post any on here at present, so do take a visit over there for some tasty visuals, including one from Thursday photo session)...

Listened to some great King Crimson and Robert Fripp tracks downloaded for free as “hot tickles” from DGM Live, as I updated the blog for the last couple of days and also downloaded a few more Rheostatics concerts...

The free DGM tracks now include one by the latest in the series of King Crimson ProjeKcts, P6 – just Adrian Belew on V-Drums and Robert Fripp on soundscapes and guitar – I love this music....

Anyway, Xmas...

I’m way behind re presents this year – I have only three so far for Anne and none for anyone else – whereas last year, as I couldn’t get out the house I was going mental on the internet on the present buying front...

Not that I buy many anyway, just for Anne, my mum, my nephews (usually cash) and my grand-nephew – Anne buys for her side and I buy for mine...

We no longer exchange presents with sister Pam and her husband (by mutual agreement) because we just always sent cash to each other...

On Anne’s side, we have a method initially introduced to save her mum money – everyone buys just one present for one other extended family member chosen at random by way of a Xmas Dip from a box with everyone’s names in it....

It used to be £75 but people got fed up with me producing a list of things from FOPP which added up to exactly £75 and giving them no say in the matter, so now it’s just £10 each and we’re all going out for a meal after Xmas...

After “Coronation St”, a particularly “non-event” episode tonight, I spent some time compiling and burning one Rheostatics concert in particular, recorded in Ottowa ten years ago...

I missed “Match of the Day 2” but stayed up (as I knew I wouldn't be getting much sleep anyway by how I was feeling) to watch the South Bank Show on Steve Reich - a fascinating insight into how he stumbled across his "style" and how he became famous (by having his piece "Four Organs" roundly booed at the Carnegie Hall)...

And so another weekend is away into oblivion....

Highlight of the Day : Rheos live...

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I'll mail you my whereabouts Stu - noticed some great pics in the foyer but didn't realise they were yours....

Saw the footie pic in the Eve News tho..

Nice one!