Thursday, October 05, 2006

Notes to return...

Playlist
Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dream Theater – A Change of Seasons
Dream Theater – Awake
Dream Theater – Falling Into Infinity
Dream Theater – Images and Words
Asia – Asia
UK – The Best of UK (CD-R)

To the dentist this morning and I now have my second gold tooth....

The fitting was quick and painless and my toothline now feels back to normal...

Close by the surgery is The Lothian Cat Rescue shop and, in the window I noticed they’re using an Ikea CD storage box as a display for little ornaments. Ikea no longer sells these 108 CD holding gems. I have 35 but need more. I made a note to return and make them an offer they can’t refuse...

From the bus to town I noticed a grocer selling Polish beers, including one called “Zwiec”. When Anne and I were in Krakow a couple of years back, we frequented a great little bar there and I drank this particular brand of beer, ordering it night after night as “Tsveek”. On the fourth night, the barmaid finally had had enough of my rubbish Polish and advised the correct pronunciation as being “Zivy-etch”...

Whatever it’s called, it’s tasty and I made a note to return there too...

James Jamieson called today to enquire whether I was up for Out of the Bedroom (OOTB) tonight. I wasn’t, but suggested he pop by and we do a swap of the acoustic bass for his drum machine – I can’t play guitars at present, but I can still press buttons...

This evening, I embarked upon the task of determining my top 1,000 albums (original studio albums only, no live or compilations) to ensure they're all on the Jukebox. And so it was that I was in the middle of this, enjoying the sounds of Asia's debut album, when Mr J arrived around 8:30 – without the drum machine....

We sat in the living room for a good couple of hours the three of us, discussing:-

Football - Jamie coaches his son Conrad for local boys team Hutchie Vale and of course like Anne he’s a Hearts season ticket holder...

Politics – we all agreed that if people don’t like living in the UK they could always go elsewhere which has a system they do like and...

Music – again we all agreed that OOTB just doesn’t seem to be as good as it used to be - the new venue needs some work to make it as conducive to the intimacy required for this type of evening and the standard of many of the current crop of performers leaves something to be desired – and the chat levels during performances have become very annoying indeed...

Then, around eleven, while transferring "Now 64" onto Conrad's MP3 player, I introduced Jamie to YouTube and he was delighted to be able to see his hero Billy Mackenzie of The Associates (subject of Jamie's song "Why Billy Why") in action - coincidentaly, one of the songs Jamie chose to watch, was a live rendition of "Kites" from French TV. This was a hit for Simon Dupree and the Big Sound in 1968. They went on to become....Gentle Giant - small world...



Along with Billy, we watched some long lost footage of another of JAmie's favourites, Gene Pitney – I get the feeling he’ll be signing up soon...

Watching all these old videos is great – though of course there’s a huge question mark hanging over this site re copyright infringement...

My intro of Jamie to it followed on from our chat re OOTB and I reckoned the way forward for budding songwriters isn’t to get up on stage in front of a few of their peers every week but to put up home made videos on the net...

My old chum Peri Urban has given up his blog and gone over to YouTube big style, garnering thousands of views of each of the nice little acoustic songs he’s posted up and has now recorded an acoustic album on the back of this which he’s selling as a Zip File for $10 a throw to anyone who’s interested...

At 12:30 Anne calls time on the two children hunched round the computer screen and Jamie heads off home (without the bass)...

A good day....

Highlight of the Day : A visit from James Jamieson

4 comments:

impossible songs said...

Hi, You actually missed a good busy OOTB night last night but I agree up to a point that the CG lacks some "magic". However it comes without any of the awkward issues we had before. Chat (?) hmm, that comes and goes, sometimes the commitee are the worst offenders trying to dcide what is happening next! Anyway hope you get on well with the button pushing thing.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Re Chat - yeah - I didn't want to say it was the committee but you're probably right...

Glad the club's still going strong though of course!!

I will be back...

Anonymous said...

Mr CBQ,

In ref to the Cannon's Gait vs Waverley, my main concern, was that due to the appalling lighting in the Cannons Gait, the audience seemed to be equally lit up as the artists on the stage. My suggestion was that perhaps the lighting in the middle of the room could be covered by some blue or red cellophane in an attempt to create more focus on the stage. To be perfectly honest, I've experienced good nights at both venues, however, the Cannons Gait at times doesn't carry the same intimacy as the Waverly. Perhaps as we spoke about, a change in seating layout and/or candles on the tables ??? If I had the time, I'd get myself on the committee !!!!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Good shout JJ. It seems I misrepresented you inmy original post.

Give up the kids' football and get on to the committee...