Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You need wings...

Playlist
Various – Atlantic Waves 2006 : The Wire Sampler
Various – Recent Singles (Jukebox Playlist)
Paul McCartney & Wings – Red Rose Speedway
Paul McCartney – Press to Play
The Brad Mehldau Trio – Progression : Art of the Trio Vol 5

Took back the disappointing “Three Colours” Box set to the library without copying it….

Resisted the temptation to hire anything else – in my sights were two Tortoise albums and “Drift” by Scott Walker…

At home, another e-bay purchase – Paul McCartney and Wings’ 1973 album “Red Rose Speedway” which, while not an acknowledged classic like its follow up, “Band on the Run”, still has its moments…

Listening to it set me off on an internet trawl re McCartney’s post Beatles career and I ended up locating and playing “Press to Play” from the mid 80’s. It has that mid 80’s feel to it and is vastly over produced – as many albums were around that time….

I was a fan of McCartney in the early 70’s until around 1976 when my sister Pam became besotted with him and so it was time for me to move on. Silly Love Songs was, for me, the last in a long line of excellent singles (its follow up, “Let ‘em In” was an embarrassment – even “Mull of Kintyre” is head and shoulders above it)…

I watched part of the first half of the Celtic v Benfica game – it seemed fairly even. Later Anne advised the ‘tic had won 3-0. Good on them, even though I don’t like them. They are easily the best team in Scotland at present and their success can only be good for all Scottish clubs and indeed the national team….

On the net I watched a few things on YouTube and listened to a few tracks from a new download only live CD by Rheostatics (my favourite Canadian band) and also came across some material by Sarah McLachlan. I found her last studio album on e-bay and made a bid….

At present I have small bids in for eight items, with two past purchases still to arrive - so there’s likely to be little let up in the daily parcels behind the door….

Finished off the day with a taped episode of “CSI : Miami” followed by some jazz from Brad Mehldau…

Highlight of the Day : E-bay bidding like an idiot

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Only too happy to pose for you Mr C. Yes indeedy I have Irish Roots - but I'm a Scottish tree...