Monday, October 23, 2006

Strange music, beautiful music...

Playlist
Various – My Own Current Top 50 Albums (Jukebox Shuffleplay)
Weather Report – Mysterious Traveller
Sarah McLachlan – Afterglow
Van der Graaf Generator – Present
Ligeti – String Quartet No 2

With Anne out tonight at keep fit, I just sat in the living room listening to one of the two new CDs which came into my possession today, Sarah McLachlan’s “Afterglow”. Very good it is too and this Canadian singer makes it easily into my pantheon of “girl singers I like”…

Bought “Present”, the re-union CD by Van der Graaf Generator today at FOPP and started listening to this whilst doing the dishes (ah the rock’n’roll lifestyle indeed). Peter Hammill’s voice is probably the one thing that’s always put me off of VdGG over the years and immediately did so again tonight. But I’ve found, if I stick with it, I get to like it as I become used to his rather affected style of singing…

Upstairs and I read through the blogs of those people I read on a daily basis. One of my favourites recently has been “Do the Math”, the blog of jazz trio, The Bad Plus…

Today, it led me to give a listen to Ligeti’s 2nd String Quartet – a strange 20 minute piece which, it turns out, I have on two separate Ligeti discs, both performed by the Arditti String Quartet…

Then downstairs again for the evening meal, cod mornay, mashed potatoes, mange tout, carrots and cauliflower, followed by a tasty apple, while watching University Challenge (featuring a team from Cambridge which scored just 45 points – dreadful)…

Then three episodes of “Coronation St” which Anne had taped while she was out and, finally, next week’s episode of “Spooks” which we watched in advance on BBC3. Great stuff…

Highlight of the Day : Has to be “Spooks” yet again

No comments: