Saturday, September 30, 2006

A walk in the sun...

Playlist
Crispell/Peacock/Motion – Nothing Ever Was, Anyway
Pires/Castro - Schubert Piano Music for Four Hands
Rick Altizer – Blue Plate Special
David Bowie – The Berlin Trilogy
Various – Jukebox Shuffleplay New Albums Aug/Sept 06
Haydn – String Quartet Op 74 No 1
Brian Eno – Another Green World
David Bowie – Diamond Dogs
Brian Eno – Here Come the Warm Jets
David Bowie – Station to Station
Glass – String Quartet No 2 (Company)
Glass – String Quartet No 3 (Mishima)
Brodsky Quartet – Variations on Waltzing Matilda
Schnittke – String Quartet No 1
Schnittke – Canon in Memory of I Stravinsky
Tina Brooks – True Blue
Allan Holdsworth – Against the Clock

Slept in till 8:30...

Made a list of all composers by whom I have recordings of String Quartets:-

Alvarez
Bartok
Beethoven
Berg
Borodin
Brahms
Bruckner
Carter
Debussy
Dutilleux
Dvorak
Egge
Glass
Gorecki
Haydn
Hill
Janacek
Janson
Kvandal
Lanner
Ligetti
Martinu
Massenet
Matthews
Mendelssohn
Messiaen
Mozart
Ravel
Reich
Reicha
Schoenberg
Schnittke
Schubert
Schumann
Sculthorpe
Shostakovich
Strauss II
Stravinsky
Szymanski
Thomas
Tippett
Valen
Vasks
Webern
Xenakis

..intending to listen to some today...

Breakfast at home, then got drugged up for the day...

The post brought my last outstanding item from e-bay, the second disc I bought by Rick Altizer - better than the last one, as there's not quite so much God bothering involved...

By the time Anne left for a trip uptown, I was a little incoherent and quite drowsy but the pain was dissipating...

I continued to “operate machinery” though and burned CDs for brother in law Keith and old chum from Germany Jorg and also burned myself a copy of the Bowie compilation “The Berlin Trilogy” I did for Keith, featuring the best of “Low”, “”Heroes”” and “Lodger”...

By the time Anne came home, I was feeling a little nauseous but had a roll for a late lunch nonetheless, accompanied by more drugs...

Late afternoon I did something I never do – I went out for a walk!!

I’ve lived at Crispycat Towers for nearly 20 years but have never visited the nearby Corstorphine Hill Cemetery (which I suppose is not really that odd a thing not to have done since I don't know anyone who's buried there)...



So today I walked down to this oasis of calm, listening to a shuffleplay of albums I’ve bought over the last couple of months, and took a look around. There were some impressive old headstones...



It was very peaceful and I was the only person there and the sun shone down through the trees on the seemingly abandoned dead...



I discovered, at the top of the cemetery, the graves of almost 100 Polish soldiers from the Second World War. I have no idea why they’d be buried in Corstorphine...



By the time I got back home I wasn’t feeling too good and was a mumbling fool when I telephoned my mum to see how she was doing (she has a new cooker)..

I retired to bed for an hour or so and didn’t take the evening drugs and must also cut down on the dosage going forward – I was taking the max possible today...

In the evening Anne drove us down to Keith and his partner Maureen’s place where I had a coffee and a lovely home made cookie...

Keith was delighted with the Bowie and Eno CDs and we listened to a few of them. A most enjoyable evening. The side-effects of the drugs were by this time dissipating while the pain was now confined to certain movements only, rather than being constant as it has been over the last week or so...

So it seems the drugs do work but I need to get the dosage right or they make me ill in other ways – nausea, pins and needles in my hands and feet, confusion, drowsiness etc etc...

Back home and I was wide awake due to the late afternoon sleep and so, while Anne surfed Youtube for videos of Hearts players, I listened to a few string quartets and rounded off the day with some top jazz...

Highlight of the Day : A visit to Keith and Maureen’s

No comments: