Sunday, September 17, 2006

Prog'n'spooks...

Playlist
Various – Shuffleplay
National Health – Of Queues and Cures
Various – Now That’s What I Call Prog Rock (3CD-R)
Vivaldi – Concert for the Prince of Poland

6:30 rise and to the computer to update the diary for yesterday and then to add recent photos to the Pictures of the Day blog...

Accompanying this was a superb shuffleplay session on the Jukebox....

I worked on flyers for this week’s gigs rather than the folding booklets I did for the Fringe ones – so a bit of compacting required...

As ever, only after I’d printed them did I notice an error...

So I redid them...

My Russion CD supplier has finally admitted the Adrian Belew and Tony Levin CDs I'm waiting on have never been sent and are out of stock - so we've agreed he'll send me the new Muse CD and the latest disc by the Brad Mehldau Trio...

Played the set again. Not as good as yesterday but still ok..

In the afternoon, inspired by the botch job the compilers of “The Best Prog Rock Album In The World...Ever!” did, I created my own 3 Disc set, “Now That’sWhat I Call Prog Rock” and, in keeping with the genre, my 3 CDs contain just 14 tracks...

Using the ratings for the top 100 prog albums at the Prog Archives website, I firstly removed anything before 1969 and after 1978, then anything I didn’t have, then included only the highest ranking album by each artist/group...

This left me with the following:-



Genesis – Selling England by the pound
Yes – Close to the Edge
Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick
Pink Floyd – The Dark Side of the Moon
King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King
Van Dr Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts
Rush – Hemispheres
Gentle Giant – In a Glass House
Emerson Lake & Palmer – Brain Salad Surgery
The Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire
Supertramp – Crime of the Century
Focus – Hamburger Concerto
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Premiata Forneria Marconi – Per Un Amico

..more than enough to fill three discs...

Disc One
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (Side 1) (19:11)
Yes - Close to the Edge (18:09)
Supertramp - Rudy (7:09)
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 (29:38)
Disc Two
Genesis - The Cinema Show (11:02)
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn (Pt 1) (19:05)
Van Der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers (22:59)
Focus - Hamburger Concerto (20:20)
Disc Three
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (Side 1) (22:16)
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - One Word (9:52)
Gentle Giant - Way of Life (7:29)
Rush - Hemispheres (17:59)
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Il Banchetto (8:33)
King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King (9:22)

Anne’s mum, who was most interested in our holiday snaps, came round for tea, for which Anne had made a quite excellent lasagne...



Later on, highlight of the day was the return of “Spooks” – for me the best UK programme on the telly, better even than “Dr Who”...

We recorded the second part from BBC3 (while watching “Match of the Day 2”) to watch tomorrow during th day at some point as, when it’s shown at night on BBC1, I’ll be playing at the Haymarket Beanscene to probably a couple of people with big cups of coffee enjoying a nice cake each...

Maybe it’ll be you...

Probably not though...

Highlight of the Day : The return of “Spooks”

No comments: