Tuesday, September 05, 2006

All the young dudes...

Playlist
Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway – Live 1975
The Eagles – Hotel California
The Tubes - Personal Selection (CD-R)
Mott the Hoople – Ballad of Mott : A Retrospective
Hawkwind – Epocheclipse
Ian Hunter – Strings Attached : Live in Oslo
Mott the Hoople – The Hoople
ZZTop – Greatest Hits
Steppenwolf – 19 Greatest Hits

Up late at 9:30 – Breakfast at home – waited for postie to arrive – 11am - ah, I remember the days when you could have your post and be about and about by 8:30 am...

Anyway, he duly arrived and, once again no sign of the CDs I’m waiting on from Russia...

Yesterday, I bought an Ian Hunter DVD at FOPP and, upon arriving back home and settling down to watch it, discovered no disc or booklet in the box – so, today, I went back into town to get another copy...

The girl at the counter was very apologetic and opened the new copy there to check all was present – and it was...

I also bought three Mott the Hoople CD Remasters, “All the Young Dudes”, “Mott” and “The Hoople”...

I’m pretty sure I have all the extra tracks on various compilations and live discs already but the sound quality of the original albums is a lot better than on the old CD versions I have...

“All the Young Dudes” has the distinction of being the first LP I ever bought. Late summer 1972. The first single I ever bought with my own money was Elvis Presley’s “The Wonder of You” in the summer of 1970....

Today, I also picked up greatest hits discs by Steppenwolf and ZZ Top for just £3 each...

On the way home I bought picture frames to give as presents to my and Anne’s mums once I have inserted recent pics of their respective offspring...

Back home, Anne and I watched some (six) Italian language programmes (which she’d recorded in the middle of the night a couple of months back) while we had lunch...

Ciao!

Then I watched the Ian Hunter DVD. Very good it was too, a concert from Oslo in 2002 at which he not only had his regular band but was accompanied by an 18 piece string section...

Stand out tracks were the opening “Rest in Peace”, a Mott “b” side from 1973, “All the Young Dudes”, “Saturday Gigs”, Mott’s farewell single from 1974 and “Michael Picasso” his song to his best friend Mick Ronson, describing how hard it was for him to cope with Ronson’s death from cancer...

I find this one of the most moving songs I know...

After the DVD, I put the family pictures into frames and transferred recent CDs onto the Jukebox – I’m back up to 1,200 albums and 12,000 tracks...

After an excellent evening meal from Anne, we headed out to Meg the Black Cat’s ex mum Julia’s house to leave Meg there for a few days while we take a break...

I was called upon to catch and put outside, a goodly number of Daddy Longlegs beasts, while Anne and Julia quaffed some white wine...

It’s upsetting to leave Meg behind but we know she’s used to Julia’s house as she lived there for a long time before we adopted her. And her old friends, Pandy the Fluffy Cat and Dylan the Crazy dog, are there to keep her company while we’re away....

Back home. The house is empty without Meg....

We watched a piece by Stewart Lee we’d recorded earlier tonight, in which he railed against censorship, the blasphemy laws, and religious fundamentalists...

Right on, man – with you 100%.

Highlight of the Day : Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople

No comments: