Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Failing to connect...

Playlist
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin
Cloudland Blue Quartet – The Acoustic Ersatzreal
Various – Power Shovel Audio

After last night’s enjoyable gig, which seemed to have restored my faith in performing live, tonight it was off to St Andrews for another Beanscene...

53 miles there and 53 miles back...

What an idiot I was to accept this one....

St Andrews is a busy town of an evening, there’s no getting away from that fact – and there were ample numbers of attendees. Except they weren’t really “attendees” – they were there by coincidence....

There was a demoralisingly high number of people in the café (virtually all of them) who couldn’t have cared quite frankly if The Beatles had reformed for one last gig on a cold Tuesday night in the back of beyond and were standing there playing right in front of them (even though it would have been a miracle, given the less than vibrant current state of messrs Lennon and Harrison)...

But it was up to me to win them over...

Despite the fact that I drew rousing applause at the end of the gig, I never really connected with anyone during it apart from what looked to be a three or four year old girl who danced in front of me quite charmingly for the entire set...

The free food was good. The free coffee was good...

But driving for over two hours all told there and back to play for 30 minutes to people who weren't there for music but to drink coffee and chat (and they couldn't be blamed for that), was not good....

It left me thinking “what's the point?”...

Of course the point was , it was up to me to win them over...

To make matters worse Anne quite rightly gave me her “I told you so” routine when I got back as, as Executive Producer, she’d predicted it would be a waste of time to drive all the way to St Andrews to play for 30 minutes in a coffee shop and had said I ought to have turned down this gig when I was offered it...

She is so right it's infuriating...

And so to Thursday night at Beanscene Nicolson St, Edinburgh, my last gig for a while – pending my shoulder op and recording the new album...

One positive of the day was listening to the latest free CD from "The Wire" on the drive up - a compilation featuring the future of Tokyo's underground scene on the Power Shovel Audio label - some top notch electronica sounds - studio bound, perhaps like I ought to be...

Lowlight of the Day : A poor performance from CBQ - failing to connect...

No comments: