Sunday, August 06, 2006

Time travelling...

Playlist
Arvo Part – Fratres
Return To Forever – Romantic Warrior
Robert Fripp – Soundscapes For Orchestra
Michael Rother - Esperanza
Various - Aware Records Ear Snacks Vol IV
Various - The Greatest Hits of 1972
The Bad Plus - Motel
Weather Report - I Sing The Body Electric
Moving Sounds - Thinking About
Various - Now That's What I Call Music January 1972 - April 1973
Magazine - Secondhand Daylight

Rubbish sleep last night and so up at 4:50...

Some quiet listening, Arvo Pat’s beautiful “Fratres” along with “Summa for Strings” and “Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten for Strings and Bell”...

I keep the last 100 CDs I’ve bought/acquired, on a shelf in the living room and so, every so often I bring those recently relegated by the advent of new acquisitions upstairs to join the main collection...

And so I end up also listening to return to Forever and Robert Fripp while I waste more of my life doing stuff I really don’t need to do...

While trawling the blog to ensure I record in my Red Book of CDs (Started in 1985, listing chronologically my entire collection - 4,400) I decided to copy into an excel spreadsheet for analysis, all the albums I’ve been listening to since starting to record my daily playlists back in April...

Counting Cloudland Blue Quartet, which accounts for around a quarter of my overall listening (such narcissism), my top thirty artists over the last three and a half months have been:-

Cloudland Blue Quartet
Alice Cooper
Yes
King Crimson
Neal Morse
The Bad Plus
Brian Eno
Pet Shop Boys
Mathilde Santing
Miles Davis
Reid Anderson
The Blue Nile
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Pink Floyd
Andrew Hill
Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers
Brad Mehldau Trio
David Bowie
James Jamieson
John Coltrane
Dar Williams
Electric Light Orchestra
Freddie Hubbard
Golden Earring
Grand Funk Railroad
Isaac Hayes
Lee Morgan
Shadow Gallery
The Church
Tool

Which gives an insight into the fact that I like listening to myself, am somewhat stuck in the seventies and enjoy both prog rock and jazz...

We went to a packed Patisserie Floretin for breakfast and, when we came out, the weather had taken a turn for the worse...

Stopped off at Anne's sister's on the way to pick up some Hearts FC related item for her brother, then back home, where Anne surfed the net and I looked through the twenty or so notebooks of, erm, notes which I have, on the look out for anything interesting...

I found a lyric I wrote around 2000 or so which was used by my old chum Stewart Robinson on one of his Peri Urban tracks back then...

Wrote some chord sequences, changed the lyrics ever so slightly and, hey presto, another new song for the next album - title : The Angels Took His Soul (And Put A Smile Upon Her Face)...

Took Anne round to her mum's, as they're off to see Hearts v Celtic, then went back to the house to refine the new song...

I'd phoned my mum earlier and arranged to go out for a quick visit while Anne was at the footy. She's in good spirits despite having fallen in her garden the other day, giving herself a black eye!!

What a shiner...

I am glad to hear that she's not lost her confidence to walk around (as can so easily happen when an "elderly" person starts falling over) but she does need to be careful...

We had an hour together before she was due to head off up to my sister Sheila's. Then I went back to Anne's mum's to pick Anne up - I didn't know the score but it had been 0-0 at half time when I'd left our house to go to my mum's...

I'd predicted 3-0 for Celtic based on the sucessful, yet rather lack lustre performances of Hearts so far this season...

As I walked into Anne's mum's house I realised from the atmosphere I'd been wrong - a glorious 2-1 win for the Jam Tarts - should've been 3-1 as a perfectly good goal was disallowed for offside - in fact 3-0 because Celtic scored their goal from the move immediately following the goal being chalked off...

A quick visit to Tesco for something for the tea and then home, where I tried to remember how the new song goes, before watching Coronation St...

Then I compiled a list of hit singles from 1972 and 1973 that I liked - using the great chart source, www.everyhit.co.uk...for no other reason than I like looking at a list of good records from those years - there's definitely something wrong with me...

Ended the day buying a couple of CDs on e-bay, my first for a while - Nine Horses (David Sylvian) and a 2CD compilation by Fountains of Wayne...

Tasty...

Highlight of the Day : Another new song takes shape..

No comments: