Friday, August 11, 2006

Almost sunk, then buoyed...

Playlist
Various Composers – The Splendid Rebirth of Italian Music
Adrian Belew – Side One
Adrian Belew – Side Two
Peter Gabriel – Hit
Television- Marquee Moon
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Fringe Set No 2

Today, I finally bought the album “Marquee Moon” by Television. When it was released in 1977, I bought the singles taken from it (“Marquee Moon” and “Prove It” - both in 12" format) but never the album...

It’s great....

I was on the brink of buying Peter Gabriel’s 2CD set “Hit” (and may still do so) but, on checking the jukebox I found I had all but two of the tracks already – and so programmed the album into play and listened to it at no extra cost....

When I got home from town, the postie had delivered The Fountains of Wayne’s double compilation CD “Out of State Plates” which I’m looking forward to hearing...

I had a quick run through my latest Fringe set, recorded it and burned it to a CD to listen to in the car on the way back into town – I still can’t sing too much and so I listen instead, in order to “practise”...

And so, my second Beanscene gig tonight...

Things were looking a bit bleak when it became clear even the long-suffering Anne wasn’t going to turn up!

She was out with her friend Michelle and a few others and texted to say she was having such a good time she’d just stay where she was and I could join them there after my set...

I was feeling pretty dispirited before going on as, although there were quite a few people in the place, not one person I’d told about it was there....

Then Mr Craig Harding introduced himself. He bought one of my tapes back in 1993 and had recently Googled me and found my website...

Craig was up for the weekend from Macclesfield to take in a few shows on the Fringe and, would you believe, CBQ...

I was buoyed...

I started the set and most people were chatting away and not paying much attention but, by the third song or so, everyone seemed to be listening intently...

I really enjoyed playing tonight and I think I won the audience over – I finished my set and they were calling for more. I explained I could only play for 30 minutes, but they insisted on an encore...

The management said it was fine by them...

But of course I only had ten songs with me – so I took the opportunity play my newest song for a second time...

After the set, I sat with Craig to chat. He was accompanied by his friend Nicola and her sister Helen – who once played a nurse in “Coronation Street”!!!

How cool is that?

Nicola especially liked “The Crocodile Song”, which I’d brought back into the set tonight, and asked me what it was about – I explained about writing songs around lines from books and how I’d got “crocodile I am, and crocodile I shall remain” from Mauriac’s “The Knot of Vipers” (Le Noeud de vipers) and built up the rather sordid tale of the song from that line...

The line is near the top of page 61....



There is nothing better as a musician than to meet people who appreciate what you’re doing. Especially on a night like tonight, when I was feeling like just packing it all in and retreating to the studio for the rest of my days....

Craig, Nicola and Helen left around 10:30 to catch a show at the Pleasance, and I gave them each a “Best of CBQ 1996-2006” CD for having taken the time to come along all the way from Macclesfield (obviously all the other shows they were seeing at the Fringe were a side issue)...

Then I drove down to meet up with Anne and her friends, had a drink with them and, around midnight, we headed home...

Highlight of the Day : A really enjoyable gig – and meeting someone who’s been in Coronation St...

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Congrats on the Front Page!!
Next gigs are Thursday 17th (Haymarket) and Wed 23rd (Nicolson St)