Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Beyond comprehension...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Acoustic Fringe Set
Tom McRae - All Maps Welcome
Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow
Grand Funk Railroad - Thirty Years of Funk

Another day of good music today..

The Tom McRae album is a recent (overlooked-by-the-great-British-public) gem which I've not listened to for a good while...

In the post today, three little parcels of fun...

David Sylvian's last album, recorded under the name Nine Horses with his brother Steve Jansen (also ex-Japan) and Burnt Friedman (German electronica "star") plus a long list of guests, this is a move back toward the mainstream in comparison with "Blemish" but, since it's Sylvian, not too close to the mainstream...

The first of my two recent Eels purchases is next - Souljacker (the 2 disc version, no less) - which I've not had a chance to hear yet, because I've been listening to...

A three CD Anthology of Grand Funk Railroad for whom I have a big soft spot - huge in America in the early seventies, barely heard of in the UK - hated by the critics - loved by the fans - and some great rocking tunes...

I have most of GFR's CDs already but around a third of the tracks on here are new to me, and that's worth the e-bay price for the set...

Other than that, a trip along to the Haymarket Beanscene to see Ian Sclater play a set (I'm there tomorrow night)...

His between song banter is excellent and funny and it was good to hear the songs we worked on for what ended up being nearly a year, finally making it into a live setting....

Back home, I decided not to rehearse my set, having listened to some recordings earlier in the day, and instead continued with some David Sylvian and Grand Funk...

Ha - that name - I used to love seeing all the "funky" students who used to come into the shop, pick up the records we had in stock by Grand Funk and wonder what they might be like....

I had to tell them it was heavy rock and probably beyond their comprehension and, "oh I have some old Donald Byrd records over there under Jazz"...

I hated those stupid, funk searching, students...

Highlight of the Day : David Sylvian

No comments: