Thursday, August 17, 2006

Reunion....

Playlist
Eels – Souljacker
Eels – 22 Miles of Hard Road EP
Grand Funk – Thirty Years of Funk

The third Beanscene gig tonight and I had a great time...

At least one person had come along from last Friday’s Nicolson St gig as a guy sitting near the front with his own bottle of Red wine and a large plate of nachos asked if I had enough songs with me tonight for an encore...

No encore tonight though as there were time constraints on the set due to staff rotas or something. The communication leaves a little to be desired....

They wanted me to go on at 8, after I’d mailed people to tell them 8:30 – meaning anyone coming along on the strength of my mega-marketing campaign would most likely miss the entire set...

I stood my ground after some “negotiations”...

Tam Coyle from Luna Records was along tonight (on his birthday) to check me out before heading to Nicolson St for the set up there and then to meet up with the other head honchos from the label to see a band Tam’s thinking of managing...

The set was slightly different from last Friday and I’ll change it again slightly for Queensferry on Saturday – if people are along more than once, I don’t just want to play exactly the same songs in exactly the same order every time...

Also in the audience tonight were my Creek cohorts Stuart Cobley, Craig Sutherland (who’s also my webmeister at Crispycat) and, for the first time in a long time, Alan Brodie....

Craig and Alan were with their respective partners, Amy and Penny, two lovely ladies – and Anne came along tonight too – I think more in hope that people she’d not seen for a while would turn up than anything to do with the music...

Honorary members of the Cloudland Blue Quartet, James Jamieson and my nephew and co-writer of “The Crocodile Song”, Andy Wilson were also there – the latter looking particularly handsome – he’s now the house DJ at Maddogs nightclub in George St, playing there six nights a week – that’s his job – nice one....

Tonight was the first time for over two years that all six CBQ’ers (me, Jamie, Andy, Alan, Stu, Craig) had been in the same room together...

After sitting around chatting, Anne, Jamie, Alan, Penny and I went on to Cuba Norte for a few drinks...

When we emerged around midnight it was chucking it down with rain so we took a slight detour on the way home to give Jamie a lift...

A very enjoyable evening out...

A strange phenomenon occurred tonight too – for the first time in a very long time, possibly the first time I can remember, I wasn’t nervous in the least about performing...

No doubt the nerves will return though...

Highlight of the Day : The CBQ/Creek Reunion....

No comments: