Tuesday, March 14, 2006

On returning...

Today I made a return to the Music Library after a long time away..

I picked up Return to Forever’s jazz fusion classic “Romantic Warrior” from 1976 and last year’s new-prog opus “Frances the Mute” by The Mars Volta, complete with Floydian cover by Storm Thorgerson. Two excellent additions to any collection...

The Animals CD “The Most of the Animals” also arrived from e-bay (still no sign of the Marillion CD)....

Disappointing. Turns out I already have 14 of the 16 tracks and it’s got no back cover! Still it was only £3 I suppose....

Back to the Floyd theme, I transferred David Gilmour’s concert to CD. Good sound, good concert – including two vocal performances from Richard Wright...

Other than that it was mainly final prep for tomorrow’s OOTB session. I had been hoping to take Jamie up on his offer of assistance but he’s been struck down with the flu and so I’ll be on my own...

“CSI” was the only thing drawing me to the TV tonight – part one of a Ruth McCarter...

And last thing last night, on the recent recommendation of The Doctor of Prog Rock (http://doctorofprog.blogspot.com/), as opposed to our own soon to be birthday boy Dr Prog, I listened to Patrick Moraz’ solo album, recorded whilst still in Yes, “The Story of i”....

Cracking stuff. I enjoyed returning to this album which, when I finally bought it around four or five years ago, I probably listened to once and filed away unimpressed..

Highlight of the Day : Return to the library

1 comment:

Sid Smith said...

This may come under the heading of "teaching granny how to suck eggs" but I can never pass a refrence to Chick Corea and RTF without yelling loudly that a)Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy is a must-have if you don't already have it and b)the reissue of Corea's pre-Miles album Inner Space is also pretty much essential if you like that mid-60s NY thing.

The slightly annoying is they left off two tracks on the CD issue (the original vinyl was a double) so you have to buy Tones For Jones Bones to get the complete set - even that though is well worth it!