Thursday, March 02, 2006

The art of the quartet...

Look at this lovely picture I took on the way home to Crispycat Towers tonight after a gruelling session of physio...

Yes, that is the moon..click to make it big!



It was supposed to be my last day at the gym re physio and I'm back next Tuesday for an assessment - I don't think I'll be discharged though as I've still got a long way to go...

I'll find out more tomorrow when I return to the hospital for more X Rays on the ankle to see if it's healed yet...

And of course today on the jukebox, the playlist is Jethro Tull - the album "Thick as a Brick" being the highlight...

But my first purchase of March 2006 is not by The Tull, no, it is a 5CD box set entitled "The Art of the Lindsays"....



It's a compilation of recordings by the Lindsay Quartet to commemorate their long career which ended with their decision to retire in 2005 - indeed the 5th disc in the set is a recording of their last concert which took place in their home town of Sheffield last July...

The set includes quartets by Mozart, Schubert, Ravel, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Dvorak, Beethoven, Borodin, Janacek, Tippett (written by him for the Lindsays) and Bartok..

The String Quartet is probably my favourite form of classical music, though it can be difficult to maintain focus on the music for long periods of time as there is often so much going on, despite there only being four players...

My favourite so far in this set is the Janacek Quartet entitled "The Kreutzer Sonata" - named after, and inspired by, a novella by Tolstoy which tells the story is of a man who murders his wife for infidelity...

Janacek instructs the players to play so fiercely that it doesn't matter if they themselves draw blood...

Nice...

I'm listening to it as I type - my fingers are not bleeding though......

I transferred the discs to the jukebox tonight, as I wrote and sent out the invitations to the sixteen groups and artists I'll be recording on the 15th and 22nd March for the fourth Out of the Bedroom CD....

In fact I was doing this instead of attending Out of the Bedroom - James Jamieson called to enquire if I was going along but I had to decline...

Jamie did attend however and ended up playing a four song set, to which he said the reaction had been excellent. Bolstered by this, we'll be starting work soon on his proposed new EP...

Also, on video tonight we watched two episodes of "Desperate Housewives" and last week's "Enterprise"..

And so to bed with quartets on the headphones...

Highlight of the Day : The Art of the Lindsays

No comments: