Saturday, March 11, 2006

A big cat and an angel...

Up early as usual for a Saturday and started the day by compiling a CD of Asia/John Wetton/Wetton-Downes tracks to mirror the set list from last night - including a specially created track melding Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" and Asia's "Cutting it Fine" as per Mr Downes' keyboard solo...

Breakfast at home today, then I take Anne uptown to a hairdressing appointment before visiting Helen the lovely podiatrist. Her care of my feet is quite soothing and we have a good old chat about various topics including her upcoming wedding...

Then into town, in a re-run of last Saturday. I go to exactly the same places (bar Richer Sounds - plus no clothes buying today or whipping and dipping at Asda)...

At Avalanche No1 I buy the three compilations I passed on last week - Herman's Hermits, Gerry Rafferty and Hot Chocolate....



I bought Herman's Hemits purely for Peter Noone's version of David Bowie's "Oh You Pretty Things" which has Bowie on piano and was a hit before Bowie's post "Space Oddity" comeback with "Starman" and "Ziggy Stardust" in 1972...

Hot Chocolate was bought for "You'll Always Be A Friend", a minor hit which got to No 23 in October '72 and was amongst the first records I bought...

Listening now to their hits, I realise what a good band they actually were. For instance, you can hear that the bongos/congas on "You Sexy Thing" have been processed through a synthesiser to mirror the rise and fall of the chord structure - a method which pre-dates the same effect used in most dance music from around 1990 onwards...

Gerry Rafferty made up the 3 for £5, but is a great UK songwriter (Scottish in fact) and vastly under-rated....

...and in Avalanche No2 I find three interesting (for me) CDs - Supertramp's last studio set "Slow Motion", a disc by American singer-songwriter Richard Shindell, "Sparrows Point" and one from Shivaree, "Rough Dreams" - by whom I bought a CD from Avalanche around this time last year too - very inventive stuff...



Then to FOPP and, despite having created my own version, as I already have all the tracks, I can't resist the Laurie Anderson 2CD anthology, "Talk Normal", at a mere £7. Whilst I merged all the tracks into one another, the official version seems to keep every track separate....



I also pick up the new CD from Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, "On An Island" (definitely NOT Pink Floyd if the first listen is anything to go by)...



Lottery Ticket bought - once again no bloody numbers....no, sorry, I tell a lie, one number..

On the South Bridge in Edinburgh, these two billboards juxtapose the run down nature of the street with the colourful world of advertising and Natural History Television...




Back home in the afternoon I convert all the new discs to MP3 for uploading to the Jukebox and then head to the Gym around 4:30 - but it's closed - oh well, back tomorrow...

Queen of the South held out for 93 minutes against league leaders St Mirren before succumbing to a solitary goal - next week is a true "six pointer" against Stranraer - local rivals both in terms of league position and geography...

Hearts do not perform well - a draw away at Inverness. Rangers are catching them for 2nd spot...

There's a David Gilmour concert on Radio 2 tonight and my mood re QoS' defeat is lifted as I realise we can get Radio 2 on the Freeview Box and so I can record the concert onto Mini Disc and transfer to CD...

We order an Indian Takeaway from the Taj Express and, whilst we wait, I set up the recording with various wires going here, there and everywhere...

On telly, we watch Harry Hill (brillantly funny tonight) and "CSI New York" and "Law & Order Criminal Intent" followed by "Match of the Day"...

Off to bed with all my new CDs on shuffle play on the jukebox - Gilmour's CD is sounding better 2nd time around...

Highlight of the Day : Discovering I can record at will from Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 etc etc etc etc

No comments: