Sunday, March 12, 2006

Snowing, Streaming, shopping and gyming...

Despite not getting to bed till 12:30 am, I woke at least four times in the night with terrible pain in my left arm - the pain my physio said wasn't really there..

By 4:30 I couldn't take it any longer and so I got up...

It had been (and still was) snowing heavily, and I took a few photos without flash from inside the house, before opening the cat flap for Meg the Black Cat, in case she might want to go out to explore...



I was getting ready to "do stuff" when a very tired looking Anne appeared and convinced me I ought to be getting more sleep...

Reluctantly, I went back to bed and the on-off snoozing/waking in pain continued until I finally got up again at 9 am...

On the latest King Crimson newsletter (Elephant Talk) there's a link to a dutch radio station...
http://www.vpro.nl/programma/avondconcert/afleveringen/8881754/
...which broadcast a concert a couple of years back, during which an orchestra played transcriptions of some Robert Fripp soundscapes...

While Anne busied herself around the house, and with David Gilmour's concert from the previous night still languishing unheard, I set everything up to record from the excellent quality stream and set it all in motion...



Leaving it running we drove through the snow to Patisserie Florentine. Up on the hill, people were out with their kids and sledges to take advantage of the inclement weather. I suggested to Anne we might buy a sledge but she reminded me exactly how old I am and that I have a broken ankle...

At Patisserie Florentin I forewent the Bacon Roll of the last couple of visits for their Petit Dejeuner, which comprises toasted French bread with butter and jam, a plain croissant (again, heated) an orange juice and a latte...

On the way home we visited Sainsbury's for the weekly shop....



Although I think Anne secretly likes me being there when we shop, she pretends to be exasperated by my continual suggestions of outlandish purchases...

At least I think she pretends...

At home I set about transferring the Fripp Orchestral soundscapes to a CD. This involved playing the relevant parts of the hour long recording back into the computer onto Cakewalk, where I edited the pieces and created wav.files...

I then burned these to CD, created a cover and label and did all the printing...



It's an excellent disc (3 pieces, 36 minutes) for anyone like me who's always wondered what these transcriptions might sound like. More were played on the night apparently but only three made it into the actual broadcast - and I'm thankful just for that...

Then - to the gym..

I tell you that two minutes never seems longer than when it's the last two minutes of a 40 minute workout and you're on the cross-trainer...

Granted I was watching "Carry On Nurse" with the sound down - having created a "Gym Playlist" comprising all tracks on the jukebox of between 10 and 13 minutes' duration - as each exercise lasts 10 minutes...

Feeling good I drove back home and, after a shower, it was off down to Anne's mum's for the fortnightly family tea. Four weeks already since the Sparks concert. Is time moving more quickly these days??

I enjoyed showing young Kitty how to keep her spoon the right way up as it made its way to her mouth with some ice cream on it...

Home in time for "Planet Earth" - another spectacular episode - this time concentrating on mountain life...

Update the diary...

Match of the Day 2...

Finish off the up date..

To bed for more pain in the arm - the ankle's a bit sore tonight too...

Highlight of the Day : Finding Robert Fripp's Soundscapes for Orchestra

No comments: