Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Hitler's favourite...

Tonight Anne and I went to see Welsh National Opera's production of Franz Lehar's "The Merry Widow"...

We were guests of the sponsors and enjoyed a champagne reception and pre show talk from the Company's directors, more drinks and canapes between the Acts, and a buffet with the cast after the show...

We had forsaken 5-a-sides and Scotland's ill-fated World Cup campaign to attend (Scotland won 3-0 away to Slovenia)...

It was a good show. I wouldn't call it an opera as such - and neither would anyone else, as it's an operetta - which is really more like a play with music and song...

I think it would've worked better just as a play to be honest - the music didn't do much for me...

I wouldn't have paid to see this yet, there we were right slap bang in the middle of the Grand Circle in the most expensive seats in the house...

Someone told me during one of the breaks that this was Hitler's favourite opera....

That says it all really...

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

In hindsight, this is perhaps a bit harsh - we did both have a good time and were entertained - it just wasn't something we'd have done by choice...