Friday, October 14, 2005

End of an era....

Today's our wedding anniversary so we're off for a couple of days up north to stay at The Ballachullish Hotel. Last time we were there was in March '02 - Crispy Cat had just died and I was suffering from a viral infection I'd had for a couple of months so it was good to get away from it all...

It takes around 2.5 hours to drive there from Edinburgh and the scenery is superb if you get the right weather - and we did. Here's a photo of Rannoch Moor, which is off the road that takes you through Glencoe...

Unfortunately I forgot to charge up the old digicam before we left and so it scrubbed my photos - this is someone else's stolen off the net....

Since I stiole it I suppose I should advertise the site it's from www.webshots.com ... they have photos of almost everywhere there...almost no need now to take a camera with you..

We stopped for lunch at Tyndrum and sat at a window table which had a bird watcher's chart on it, as the proprieters had set up around 5 or 6 bird tables outside and there was quite a variety of small birds eating there....

An hour or so later we were at the hotel. We'd heard it had changed a little over the last three and a half years but, if anything, it's better....

One great improvement is that it's completely Non-Smoking. Roll on March 2006 when all pubs, clubs etc will be like this too...

Our room had been upgraded and they gave us a free bottle of champagne...can't say fairer than that...

Stayed inside other than a short walk along the beach opposite the hotel and stroll by a nearby golf course...

We sat in armchairs in front of a roaring wood fire in a huge old lounge for almost the entire afternoon and rather a lot of drinking was done (champagne, cider, gin and red wine) - suffice to say we were pretty smashed by the end of the day at which we enjoyed a lovely meal....

For a while my vegetarianism has been under pressure - especially when we are on holiday. I have no excuses though. I am no longer a veggie. I am now one of those people who are very annoying to veggies, who say "I don't eat very much meat"...

Apologies to everyone who has gone out of their way to meet my vegetarian needs over the last sixteen and a half years....you can now feed me anything you want and I won't put you out any longer - just don't include Goat's cheese in that....

No comments: