Friday, October 28, 2005

The elusive Mr B...

Up at 7 and first task of the day is to convert Ian Sclater's backing tracks to MP3 so I can e-mail them to a percussionist he has located and whom he wants to include on the album...

After some time spent uploading and e-mailing, rather frustratingly, the mail bounces back from the address Ian has given me for the drumming man...

I await further instructions. In the meantime I update the blog and transfer all recent acquisitions into the jukebox...

Jorg rises and comes through to the computer room to show me various prog rock sites. I draw his attention to proto prog band Touch, who's first (only?) album was mentioned recently on Sid Smith's site as possibly the first prog album...

Jorg is impressed and will no doubt seek it out in the fullness of time...

He plays me an edit from an album by Canadian band Addison Project. It is good. I go to ebay and am now tracking said album which currently sits at $9.99 plus $5 postage to the UK...

As yesterday, much surfing the net and mouse sharing ensues, followed by a very late breakfast before we head uptown...

Here's Jorg on his way to the bus...lovely blue sky today again...



First stop is the "other" Fopp in Rose St. I buy Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond", which I thought I already had, and even bet Jorg I did when he suggested yesterday I didn't. Luckily he declined the bet...

And so now my Mahavishnu collection is complete...

Jorg partakes of some Slapp Happy - their 2nd and 3rd LPs on one CD - and the 2005 release from Bowie's ex guitarist, Reeves Gabrels, "Rockonica"...tasty.

He thinks about the smaller, hardback edition of "The Great Rock Discography" ("because it has Caravan in it") but decides to wait instead of trailing it around with him all day...

Then back up Cockburn St and to "Fopp 1". We notice they don't have the discography. We both leave empty handed...

Then to the Whisky Shop at the top of the Royal Mile - where, after much humming and hawing from Herr Whisky and translating from yours truly, we exit with a bottle of Bladnoch, Jorg and Yvonne's favourite...


Herr Whisky

A whisky shop on the tourist trap that is the Royal Mile brings to mind the words, money, print, license, barrel, fish and shooting...

A late lunch at 3 in an empty Kebab Mahal, an excellent traditional Curry House in St Patrick's Square, is followed by a return visit to yesterday's Art/Poster shop...

After much more humming and hawing from the Jorgmeister, and the consideration of a vastly overpriced £95 colour skyline of Edinburgh print, I convince him to take on two rather stylish/modern (and considerably more reasonably priced) B/W prints, both taken on the tower at the Royal Museum, where I stood a few weeks ago and took some not quite as good photos on the old digicam...

The two chosen photos are the one on the left precariously perched on top of the others - and the middle one on the right...my favourite...



He is pleased, I am pleased...

And now the bus to Haymarket to meet with the elusive Alan Brodie - the invisible Creek member...

Jorg hasn't seen Alan since he accompanied me to Kassel in 2002 for the Documenta Modern Arts Festival (next one's in 2007 - we'll be there!!)

But, before we get there Jorg asks that we dismount at HMV and pay one more visit.

Consequently, we are late at Cuba Norte the Cuban Bar on Morrison Street but Count Brodski is already there and we quickly wire into some San Miguels...

By the time Anne arrives just after six, Alan and I are already steaming and he has called his girlfriend Penny to advise he will be on a later train - he is set to visit her in Dundee...

We have a great time in the bar telling various stories to Jorg which Anne has no doubt heard hundreds of times before. Jorg tells us the one about the Werder Bremen manager who's career was ruined by a DNA test on his hair which proved that, although he was innocent of whatever the German press had been accusing him of, he was, in fact, a cocaine addict...

We accompanied Mr Brodie to Haymarket - but only after I had insisted on speaking to Penny on his mobile and then called her back to apologise for saying I'd only ever met her once and arguing with her on the point - but how could I have forgotten our first introduction at the Stockhausen concert?

A cab takes the three musketeers from Haymarket to The Raj in Leith. I am annoying in my complaining about the route. That's what I do when I'm in a cab after too many pints of San Miguel...

At the Indian the food is great. I foolishly eat two raw chillis with the Poppadums. I am burning up....but two lovely Indian beers soon take care of that....

After coffees, I start questioning the bill as the San Miquel and Indian Beer rule my brain...it is, of course, quite correct...the coffee obviously has had no effect...

We leave around 10:30 and head to The Shore Bar for some live jazz - to find it only happens on Tuesdays and Saturdays...

We decide to head home but, instead of another taxi, on my insistence as I am drunk, we take the rather entertaining (at this time of night on a Friday) number 22 bus up to Lothian Road and, from there, a number 26 bus home...

I am drunk and, therefore, take a photo of Anne on the bus...



Back home, Jorg leaves a pile of CDs out for me to copy tomorrow morning...

Another good day...I will not be drinking again....until the next time...

No comments: