Monday, August 01, 2005

The nonsense of performance....

What a lovely day it is today, almost like summer....



Putting a damper on matters though is the fact that the guys running the Left Bank venue don't seem to know what's going on....

The "Head of Music" there is undermining the attempts of his "employee" to organise the festival gigs - so, faced with those kind of organisational skills, I'd rather just not play there and I've let them know.

Obviously this is disappointing but, frankly, it's just not worth the hassle.....

Meanwhile, the OOTB dates are confirmed at, coincidentally, almost exactly the same time as I'm cancelling the Left Bank...

On Sunday 21st, I will compere and Jamie will play a set at 10.10 pm, while on Thursday 25th, Jamie will compere and I will play a set at 11.35 pm...

Away from all the nonsense of performance, another 2CD new prog classic arrives from e-bay, Neil Morse's album "Testimony", the predecessor to "One" which arrived on Saturday and burst into my top ten for July...

On first listening this one's just as good...



Leter, Anne's out in the front garden with Meg the Black Cat and notices a lump under the door-mat...it's a package containing the nine Herman Van Veen CDs I bought on e-bay around 10 days ago - they've arrived from Germany...

Here they are - they span 31 years from a live album from 1974 right up to his latest CD, released a couple of months ago....



Mr Van Veen has 138 CDs available - I now have around 32.... and a coincidence - on the white CD with the violin tied to his head ("was ich dir singen wollte"/"what I wanted to sing to you"), Herman covers a song by my favourite Portuguese band, Madredeus... spooky...

I spend the evening surfing the net while listening to Herman and ripping all these new CDs to the Jukebox

And so, it's only 1 August, and my "August Top Ten...so far" is already full...

Other news...Craig Sutherland, my webmeister and fellow Creek boy becomes the third electronic improvisational quartet member to have a web journal, following hot on the heels of Stuart Cobley...just Count Brodski to start uploading now....

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

You can read my rubbish description here:-
http://crispycat-recordings.blogspot.com/2005/07/oh-viennaand-veniceand-herring.html

In addition, you can use the link on my Journal to access his site - under the discography there, you have the opportunity to sample tracks..