Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dropping coleslaw or maybe yoghurt...

What a lovely day it is today, almost like summer.....



The bottom right picture is the view from the queue to see Richard Herring's "Someone Likes Yoghurt".

The Fringe is upon us once again. I'm always enthusiastic about it until I actually get there...

Then I start to hear all those generic upper class English student accents that used to drive me mental when I ran a record shop up near the University...

The students never had any money to buy CDs but would happily spend £3.50 on an overfilled roll from the shop next door, the coleslaw from which they'd stupidly and carelessly drop all over the place as they stood around in my doorway blocking my real customers while not buying my wares....you can see why I'm so bitter....

I hated them all...and still hate the sound of that accent.

The show was good though and I soon forgot my loathing for those Oxford and Cambridge rejects of yore....

This was our first experience of Mr Herring's Stand Up rather than the structured shows we've seen by him over the past five years or so.

Much of the material was familiar to those of us who read his "Warming Up" journal (see links) but with enough extra added to make it a worthwhile night. Suffice to say he made stupid catholicism squirm...

I won't say anymore for fear of being labelled a spoiler but I do urge you to check the show out if you're in Edinburgh for the Fringe - even if you have an annoying studenty accent and a propensity for coleslaw dropping....

When we were parking the car we caught sight, in the distance, of our old friend Malcolm Logan, my erstwhile musical colleague from Charnelhouse, Call Me Clive and Crazy Wisdom. I shouted "Talcy!", he gave us a wave and went on his way...perhaps we won't see him again for another five years or so....

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Georgina - you have some interesting hobbies listed in your profile...

Anonymous, glad you were entertained - good luck with your $50 a pop recruitment drive