Friday, August 26, 2005

A Day At The Races....

Today I was off for a trip to Newcastle Races followed by a night on the town.

The day started with breakfast with tons of bacon, sausages, black pudding, and scrambled eggs. Of course I stayed on the eggs in line with my vegetarianism....

There was so much bacon and sausages wasted it reminded me of why I became a veggie in the first place. The pigs dying for no reason as their meat ended up in the bin...

Onto the coach for a two and a half hour drive down the A1 and we cracked open the champagne. Martin, IT expert and creator of our home computer, was onboard and we discussed the creation of the universe, quantum physics and other hot topics with self-confessed CBQ and James Jamieson fan, JY Johnny, as we sped southwards.

After getting lost in the city centre, we finally made it to the hotel, right on the banks of the Tyne.

I was sharing with Gary, who you may recall refused to sing at the karaoke night back in April (ok you probably won’t recall, but I do). Here’s the view from the window...



Then off to a nearby Chinese Restaurant for lunch – but we were already well behind schedule and we left the restaurant, after a splendid meal, at almost 3pm..

We were due at the Racecourse at 4:30 where we were to partake of a large buffet meal - barely an hour or so after finishing lunch...



The drink was flowing freely again and bottle after bottle of wine was delivered to our two tables.

I had just one bet, taking the favourite in the first race – it came third I think. However, we then decided to have a sweepstake on the third race as there were eleven people at our table and eleven horses. I drew number 4, third or fourth favourite at the off – it won...

Here are my winnings...



Later we had another sweepstake over the two tables with an even larger pot – my horse came second by just half a length – though I suppose if I’d won again it might have sparked a riot...

By the end of the last race, mostly everyone was out of their faces on drink as we stotted back to the bus to head into the city centre to a bar and then a club...

The bus was well and truly a party bus by this time with people dancing up and down the aisles, Gary lying on the floor at the emergency exit and much outrageousness all round...

We pulled up and piled off and made our way into a place called “Jimmyz”...

After around an hour (so that’d only be about 10pm I suppose) we had to leave en masse as one of our number who was particularly pished, couldn’t understand that he had to pay for drinks with cash and insisted on handing his useless credit card to the bar staff – police were apparently on their way – I took the requisite £34 from the man in question’s hand (oh yes he had the money alright, he was just too drunk to understand what to do with it) and paid the lady – then we all left...

Outside we got split up and a few of us ended up at the club we were supposed to have hit around midnight – it was empty of course as it was still only just after 10. We’d been drinking all day. Not a good recipe for a civilised night out...

Those of us left together ended up going back to the hotel and sitting around in the bar getting even more drunk...JY Johnny managed to pour his drink over himself at one point

Various excursions were made for chips and to bring home other members of the party who called form various locations to find out where “the action” was...

I finally got to bed around 2:30 after we tried to carry on the “party” from the bar in other people’s rooms...

I didn’t sleep well – although Gary reckons I must have due to all the snoring...

An entertaining day....I think...

No comments: