Saturday, August 27, 2005

Drugs, travel, dance and food...

Up remarkably early considering the all day drinking session yesterday...

Before breakfast, Gary and I had a pre-meal double dose of Ibuprofen horse tablets to get us up and about and, by 8:30, we were down in the Hotel Restaurant.....

After a fine buffet breakfast, we walked up into Newcastle town to have a look around the shops – Gary bought a DVD for his kids while I convinced myself I had enough CDs...



Back at the hotel we sat outside laughing and joking about the previous night’s shenanigans – one of our number was sporting a rather badly swollen nose, having walked into a glass door which he thought was already open...

There were many tales of falling over and general stupidity...

We left on the bus at 11 am for a rather subdued trip back to Edinburgh. I’d burned a few CDs for the journey – all the tracks were upbeat Number One hits from 1963 through to 2004 and were spread over 8 CDs...

Here are some photos taken from the bus window...I like the stand alone trees...apologies for the passing traffic...



We finally got to Princes St at around 2 pm and I got a bus from there back home...there was some post for me - Iona Marshall has sent me her debut CD - it's really rather good...

While QoS went down again, this time 1-0 away at Clyde (and so remain bottom of the league), Anne was away to Tynecastle to see the mighty Premier League topping Jam Tarts extend their lead by thrashing Motherwell 2-1 while the wee team from Edinburgh, Hibernian FC, destroyed Glasgow Rangers 3-0 at Fortress Ibrox...

Anne phoned me on her way home from the match, impatient to discover who Hearts had drawn in the CIS cup, so I googled it and told her Kilmarnock at home – not realising I was looking at last year’s draw...they’ve actually got Livingston away – oh how we laughed at my faux pas...

In the evening it was ballet time for us and we drove into town to the Playhouse Theatre...

It was a nap that I was going to fall asleep at some point – but I did manage to keep my snore score down to just the one rather embarrassing grunt!

Anne spent the evening nudging me awake every so often...

The show itself (ok, what I saw of it) was quite excellent – the type of ballet I enjoy....



The music was by Stravinsky and Webern (with a wee bit of Bach thrown in) and the dancing was superb...

Funnily enough, I was able to stay awake for the Indian meal afterwards, for which we visited the Shanaz Tandoori, directly opposite the theatre...

Anne’s food was pronounced excellent although my own was a bit bland and disappointing...

Back home and the last episode of “Still Game”, taped from last night, rounded off a rather tiring, but nonetheless enjoyable, day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man you've eaten loads this weekend!!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Indeed I have...