Friday, August 19, 2005

Sniffing, coughing, marching...

Still bunged up today but feeling slightly better this morning. It's a lovely day (apart from a big rainstorm around 4 o'clock).



I ought to be staying in bed to get well for Jamie's gig on Sunday but my sister has tickets for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and it's a sell-out show. I feel I must go, even though I'm not 100%....

Anne and I park in town and walk to the Royal Mile and to our current favourite Mexican restaurant, Pancho Villa's. The food is superb and we also partake of some Mexican beer then walk up the Royal Mile towards the castle, taking in some of the free Fringe entertainment on the way, including a fascinating moon-walking act....

The queues are already forming but we duck round the back and into the Castle Arms for another drink before walking to the front of the queue at around 8:30 - the show starts at 9...

The crowd appears to be mostly old people – with any youngsters being, in the main, tourists...

We take our seats and are joined by Sheila and Andrew, young Andrew (keyboard player extraordinaire) and Adele, and younger nephew Alasdair and his girlfriend, Julie....(Julie's dad works for one of the sponsors and got us all free tickets)...

The show is certainly spectacular – stirring music including massed pipes and drums, fireworks, marching and throwing around of guns and bayonets by crack Norwegian troops, corny comedy, gunfire, re-enacted sea battles etc etc...



However, after 90 minutes sitting in the open air, I’ve taken a bit of a relapse and can’t wait to get home....

Despite being sick as a parrot, I do still watch “Meet the Magoons”, of which bbc.co.uk/comedy wrote..

“There wasn't a single laugh in Meet The Magoons and it was littered with gratuitous foul language”...

I’ll give it a chance though, because it features the guy who plays Naveed in “Still Game”, which I also watch on video before heading for my sick-bed at half past midnight...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes David it's really beatiful!!

Anonymous said...

Get well soon dude.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

OK a little bit less sarcasm please

Still ill