Sunday, August 21, 2005

Excessive use of paper...

Decided today that the flu would not stop me from going about my normal business...

This proved to be rather a large error of judgement...

Anne and I went to patisserie Florentin for breakfast – you know the score – lovely croissants and coffee etc...

The latest edition of Ian Sclater’s magazine, “Instant” is there and I’m mentioned in an article on the open-mic scene in Edinburgh as the most prolific participant, with over 200 solo and collaborational releases under my proverbial belt...

My production credits are also mentioned, in particular the last two Out of the Bedroom CDs...

So that’s good...

Anne heads to the hairdressers to spend a big wad of cash on looking lovely, while I’ve arranged to meet up with Dr Prog at the record fair uptown...

I am having to blow my nose every ten to fifteen seconds and, when I do, water squirts out my left eye...

At the fair, I find a compilation of one of my teenhood heroes, Roy Wood. It contains a track I’ve been trying in vain for years to find on CD, “Oh What A Shame” which was a big hit for Roy in 1975 – it may even have been his last top twenty hit...let me check one of my big books...indeed it was, making number 13 in May 1975..

Here’s a picture of Roy in his heyday....



I also picked up a CD by American “jam band” Phish, “The Story of the Ghost” along with three obscure jazz CDs, Joel Harrison’s “Free Country”, David Binney’s “Balance” and the New York String Trio’s “Gut Reaction”...all quality stuff...

We meet up with Anne at FOPP – her hair looks great...

Back home and I research Roy Wood’s career (using several of my big books) and compile a 2CD chronology of all his A and B sides from 1971 through to 1976, both solo and with The Move, ELO and Wizzard...

I’m still missing a couple of the more obscure B sides which don’t seem ever to have made it on to CD...

I am very familiar with the hits of course but it’s the B sides which are the revelation here. Roy never seemed to put any B sides onto LPs and there’s a vast treasure trove of material there that most people will never have heard...and on many tracks Roy plays everything himself and supplies all the vocal tracks, even speeding things up to provide girlie backing vocals...

The man is a genius but all most people know him for is “I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday” (which is of course THEE best Christmas song ever..eat your heart out “Away in a Manger”)....check out www.roywood.co.uk

In the evening is Jamie’s gig at Lamb’s House.

Anne and I dine out at The Raj Indian restaurant nearby then head to the hall. The guys on the committee have done a great job. The stage is set up like someone’s bedroom – including king size bed!

Sister Sheila arrives with Andy and Adele while I try and write down some ideas as to what to say between the acts as I am compering tonight’s show...

Did I mention I am having to blow my nose every ten to fifteen seconds and, when I do, water squirts out my left eye?

The show goes well, we have a couple of open mic slots including the opening act, a guy called Roddie Huggan who’s come all the way from Forres in the North of Scotland just to play a couple of songs – he’s excellent..

Impossible Songs turn in a great opening set (it seems they’re playing every time I go to a show these days) getting things off to a great start...

They are followed by Davy Watson (who I introduce as Andy Watson!). I’ve never seen him before, but he’s also very good, fronting a four piece featuring two acoustics, double bass and accordion....

Then it’s time for the James Jamieson Trio, he's under pressure because his mum, dad, sister, brother, aunt and uncle are all in the audience...

Despite having had only one ramshackle rehearsal together, we pull off a fine set..the highlights are probably his three newest songs, “The Eco Song”, “Welcome To This World” and “On The Inside” and the great closer "Trash Can Secrets"...Andy’s piano and strings are a welcome addition to the sound..

After the break, during which Jamie’s mum won the raffle, Fraser Drummond turns in a superb musicianly set during which he manages to play acoustic, bass flute, mouth organ and banjo, accompanied by his sidekick on second guitar...

Rounding off the night is Norman Lamont who seems to take half the remaining audience with him onto the stage. Not content with that, he then succeeds in getting everyone else left in the hall to join in on various types of percussion including tables and chairs and pulls off a great set...

Finally, Roddie Huggan returns to play one last song and bring the night to an end.

I get home at one o’clock...

Did I mention I am having to blow my nose every ten to fifteen seconds and, when I do, water squirts out my left eye?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words about the band the other night.

It's nice to find someone else who likes Roy Wood. I was a big fan, and I'd list 'See My Baby Jive' as the best feelgood song I know. 'Brontosaurus' was one of the first guitar riffs I learned! I may still have a vinyl copy of the first ELO album somewhere, which had some lovely Roy Wood Weepies (a special class of song, the Roy Wood Weepie - plaintive voices, strings overload, all a bit creaky and completely over the top but beautiful with it!). 'Wear A Fast Gun and you'll be allright ...'

Sid Smith said...

Hello there Norman - fancy meeting you here! Anyway - reason for writing was to add some praise for Roy Wood. I've been listening to the remaster of Message From The Country (The Move) and a collection of odds and sods from Wood, Wizzard and early ELO called Harvest Showdown.

I always think Roy Wood is one of those characters in pop who never quite lived up to his potential but was capable of some truly splendid records.

And I agree 100% with CBQ's assertion about "I Wish It Could Be Christmas" being the BEST Xmas song ever!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Well well - THEEE Sid Smith. Thanks for stopping by and what a coincidence that I should choose to wax lyrical re Mr Wood just as you are about to review The Move on your blog (which I've just read and congratulate you on)...

I love your book on King Crimson.

Do stop by again.

I will add a link to your blog from Cloudland Blue if you don't mind.

All the best

Sid Smith said...

Hi there CBQ - happy to link and I will reciprocate on my blog. My son Tom said he'd do it for me but hasn't got round to it yet.

Thanks for your very generous words re the KC book.

I can't recall how I found your blog (techorati search perhaps?) but have been enjoying visits to it for a little while now.

Some great photos and excellent reviews and comments on lots of albums I like and some I dislike.

Us nerds and geeks must stick together!

best wishes

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Hey Technorati - never heard of it before but googled it and see now how it works...

Thanks for the kind words Mr S - I vivsit my links everyday to see what's a happenin'...