Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Rehearsals, funerals, sore legs and looping

I'm due out at my nephew, Andy's, tonight (well his mum and dad's actually cos he still lives at home without a care in the world other than he's just lost his driving licence and has a six month old son by a girl whose never actually been his girlfriend and, with whom, funnily enough, he doesn't get along that well, what with the CSA being on his case and everything)....

But....having cancelled the gig for which we're due to rehearse, I'd decided not to bother. I phoned him to let him know and, as I spoke with my sister, I could hear Andy and his friend Alan practising like crazy in the background, playing along with the disc of me singing and playing guitar with the gig-backing tapes which I'd popped thru Andy's letter box on Sunday...

Turns out his computer is now officially the most twatted computer in the world (except for the twattedness of our computer following the incursions caused by the "hacking incident" and general "broadband hellmouth" scenario a couple of months back) and so he hasn't been getting his e-mails....

Good news though, is that he can play both Jamie and my gigs at the Out of the Bedroom Festival, cunningly entitled "Out of Bounds" which takes place at the quaintly named "Lamb's House" down near the shore in sunny Leith from 20-26 August. You'll recall of course that Jamie plays 21 August while I am due to go on last (some might say headline, but I'm not like that) on 25 August.

Going on last is an issue though because it's too late for Andy to play and get all the way back out to his home - so I've asked the OOTB committee if they can swap my set time with someone else....

We've to provide a track for a CD which OOTB will punt to help finance the nights and OOTB on-going, so I'll record something at the weekend for them, if possible involving Andy and Jamie - and Jamie will need to provide a track too....

Earlier today, with my mum, I attended the funeral of Clare MacRae, my old schooolfriend Rory MacRae's mum. It was a fine service….a celebration of Clare’s long and eventful life…

Rory's dad, Norman, was the minister at our local church back in the late sixties, through the seventies and into the eighties and came out of retirement for one day in June 2003 to conduct the service at my dad’s funeral…

As we waited to go into the chapel, I could see teenagers and children amongst the mourners who looked like Rory and his siblings, Callum and Hilary when they were that age. I figured they were Norman and Clare’s grandchildren. It was like travelling back in time….

In my early to mid teens, I spent many a happy day round at the manse with it’s huge garden, which Rory and I churned up with our footballing antics, and hanging around in Clare’s kitchen sampling her home-baking…it was good to see him again, even fleetingly of course under the circumstances, and I hadn’t seen Callum and Hilary for probably nearly thirty years…

My mum had been at the hospital for a check up prior to meeting me at the Crematorium. She had an operation on her back last year and is having trouble coming to terms with the fact that it’s going to take a longer time than she’d hoped before she’ll be able to walk any great distance again…

The operation came after many years of pain and discomfort in her back and legs which had left her almost doubled up and unable to walk. Since then, her posture is a lot better but there was so much nerve damage done over the years, she still has constant pains in her legs…of course she never lets us forget this!!

So anyway, back to what I was going to say at the start of what I thought would be a fairly short post…I didn’t go to Andy’s to rehearse, partly because I’d cancelled the gig but also because, today, the Boss Loop Station arrived from America. Despite missing out on one a couple of weeks back, I went back to e-bay and secured this one for around £180.



After an initial panic attack re it not working, only to discover I’d put the batteries in the wrong way round, I attached everything up and started looping…and it sounds good.

And so I rounded off the day in the music room concocting quiet soundscapes before going to bed….looking forward to Richard Herring's show "Someone Likes Yoghurt" tomorrow night...

No comments: