Sunday, July 31, 2005

Washing, shopping, moving..and art

Bloomin' digital cameras eh? People just post up any old pish on the internet and call it art....

Today, any thoughts of music work are out the window, as our priority must be to get a new washing machine after last night's tits up scenario on the old washing machine front.

We're also on the lookout for a very small bedside table upon which to rest our new radio alarm clock.

A couple of weeks ago, Jim Park directed me to a site from which I could download bootleg recordings of Richard Herring's live shows. I downloaded "Christ on a Bike", which Anne and I saw at the Edinburgh Festival a few years back.

So I've burned this to CD and, while we drive along on our trips into Retail Park Land, we listen to the man below's tirade against organised religion - and very funny it is too...we're going to see him again at this year's Fringe....it's a veritable tradition...



Our first stop is Comet, where the act of buying a new washing machine, organising its delivery and the removal of the useless rubbishy old one, is fairly easy...because we chose the new one last night on their website...we avoid the lady's attempts to flog us an extended warranty with the classy line "if this one goes tits up we'll just buy a new one again"....



Then to Ikea, furniture heaven...hmmm I could well be arrested for taking a photo of a children's playground....



Probably for the first time ever, we leave this illustrious store empty-handed, having found nothing upon which to rest our radio alarm clock satisfactorially - deciding instead to put it on the window ledge...and, to avoid waiting in a long queue to pay 80p for a pair of tongs (don't ask), we surruptitiously drop said item into a big box of other stuff near the door and leave...

By the time we return home, the sun is out and the sky is blue - a contrast to yesterday...



and Anne's lovely flowers are blooming in the garden....



Indoors I decide to change the layout of the "music room" - Anne's been concerned for some time, that the weight of all the CDs, concentrated on the floor along one wall, may be compromising the integrity of the building, so I need to spread them out a bit....

This means the artwork (my artwork) on the walls will also be moved (possibly removed), so I take a few photos and here's a collage - these were painted for an exhibition in April/May 1993...would you believe I have works in private collections?

I am an artist...



Anyway, after much carrying about and switching around of CDs and furniture we set off to Anne's mum's but there's a bus strike and so, rather than the normal 5 minute journey, I have to drive all the way to Leith to pick up Anne's brother and his girlfriend and bring them back, a 45 minute journey - not that I mind, as I like driving and I can listen to a CD on the way.

At the end of the night I take them home again.

Late on I catch an episode of "Heimat" on BBC Four. I'd forgotten how weird it could be - but they're repeating the entire series so I think I'll try and stick with it...it's the history of Germany through one family's eyes - you can read about it here http://www.heimat123.net/ and the episode I watched is here http://www.heimat123.net/introduction/dzh3.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

could you describe your poo procedure?

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Thanks for your comment Nicholas - re yours, Anonymous, I'm afraid that would be going into too much detail, something I don't like to do....ha ha - I take your point tho...