Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Britney and the bombers...

Didn't rehearse today. I bought a couple of Britney Spears CDs from FOPP for £1 each. At that price what's there to lose (ok, "£2" I hear you say) but, both CDs are pretty good in the main - there's a great cover of Sonny Bono's "The Beat Goes On" on "...Baby One More Time" which, of course, also includes the classic title song - those two alone are worth £1.

"Britney", her third album's a bit more studied, self reverential and sounds like the more experimental side of her idol, Michael Jackson or Prince in places but has the co-Dido composed "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet a Woman"...ok I'm struggling to justify this one...

I find the songwriting on the first album (and some on the third) interesting - the songs are quite simple and formulaic in a way...perhaps that, plus a rather attractive young lady singing them, is what you need to go multi platinum - so chance of me and Jamie doing that anytime soon.

Also, for £1 each, I bought three soul compilations of mainly obscure sixties stuff with the odd famous track thrown in - plenty there to keep me going but no doubt they'll be filed away and forgotten before I've listened to all 60 songs...

I watched the double CSI but it wasn't the much touted Tarantino directed episodes which bring the current series to a conclusion - they are postponed to next week because the police have identified the London bombers?? Go figure (as Britney might say)....

No comments: