Sunday, October 25, 2015

Violent convulsions, difficulty in breathing, loss of conciousness and, finally, erm, let's not get carried away...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - The Dakota Starman EP
Klaus Schulze - Stars Are Burning

We left things with me having said I might be required for taxi duty - and so I was, having advised Anne I was a little out of sorts with a "bit of a sore tummy"...

Once home, we watched "Dr Who" and retired, Anne having enjoyed both football and ballet...

I awoke at 1 with dreadful pains in my stomach and spent the rest of the night pacing the house trying to find some where good to settle...

For the first time in decades, I was physically sick...

By 5:30 I couldn't breathe properly and decided this must be indigestion which wasn't just simply going to pass...

NHS24 was called and, as a heart attack was now suspected - an ambulance arrived shortly after 6 or so...

Thankfully, onboard tests concluded no heart attack but I was in extreme pain as we whizzed round the ring road to the Royal Infirmary with morphine being applied via a drip...

To A&E at first for a couple of hours where more pain relief was applied and I managed to sleep while Anne waited by my bedside...

To the Surgery Observation Ward and more tests were done and, eventually, around mid-afternoon, an ultrasound revealed gallstones and an inflamed gall bladder to be the cause of the (putting it mildly) discomfort...

This was the worst pain I've ever felt...

I was promised a report would be passed to a doctor (I hadn't seen one yet) and anti-inflammatory drugs would join the hordes of painkillers now coursing through my veins with little effect...

Before this could happen though, I was transferred to Ward 106...

Here, further treatment provided some relief and Anne went home, leaving me to be cared for by the expert staff...

Things started to take a turn for the worse though, as the pain increased hugely from what had already been unbearable levels and I was now finding it extremely difficult to breathe in any meaningful way...

In the end, did not see a doc until just before midnight, by which time my pain and breathlessness were causing me to question whether I'd make it through the night...

Through this, I had to explain the entire story of the day, before they went off to view the earlier scan...

Having consulted said scan, I was advised there could well be an op tomorrow to remove the gallbladder...

Unable to lie down due to pain and difficulty in breathing, I spent the night sitting in a chair...


Highlight of the Day : Finally getting to see a doctor...

No comments: