Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Big fluffy dog version preferred...

Playlist
Alice Cooper – Along Came a Spider
Uriah Heep – Wake the Sleeper
Sparks – Angst in my Pants
Def Leppard – Yeah
Coldplay – Viva La Vida
Nico – The End
Dream Theater – Systematic Chaos
Porcupine Tree – Fear of a Blank Planet
The Clash- The Clash
Free – Free at Last
Scott Walker – Tilt
Secret Machines – Now Here is Nowhere
Bert Jansch – It Don’t Bother Me
Dio – Sacred Heart
Elbow – The Seldom Seen Kid
Holy Fuck – LP
Polytechnic – Down Till Dawn
Isaac Hayes – The Isaac Hayes Movement
Madonna – Hard Candy
No-Man – Schoolyard Ghosts
The String Cheese Incident – Inside Outside
Various – Classic Trance Anthems
Dave Gahan – Hourglass
AC/DC – Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Stars – Set yourself on Fire
Belle and Sebastian – The Life Pursuit

A new playlist on the jukebox today features those 50 of the last 100 CDs acquired which are deemed to be rock and/or pop – tracks from these soundtracked the day on shuffleplay and I heard a lot of music I liked which I don’t remember having heard before...

And at lunchtime, not content with having received two new discs from E-Bay yesterday, I walked along to FOPP to find they have yet another shed load of £3 CDs...

I availed myself of albums by AC/DC (my first ever), Stars (a Canadian band I discovered a few months ago in a sale at Zavvi and bought because they used mellotrons), Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode’s latest and a CD/DVD by Belle and Sebastian, a group I kind of detest for their rather studied tweeness but decided to give a go for three squid...

When they were starting out at a nearby Music College and pressed their first album as a project, which subsequently sold amongst (deluded) fans for hundreds of pounds, they came into my shop and I bought a few off them – never sold one and I think they probably ended in the bin...

Never thought they’d be around and lauded all these years later...

I hate the faut naivety of it all – but, if I’m brutally honest, I’m strangely drawn to them in a “Crispets”* type of way....

Now AC/DC...

The quintet of purchases was completed by a cracking 3CD set of “Classic Trance Anthems” – which aren’t cross-faded which is good as, when playing on shuffleplay, they won’t build up to one of those trance climaxes and just stop dead, they will run their natural course...



In the evening, another game of fives and I took what might be termed “a sore one” early doors, as a chap in an Argentina top gave my right ankle an accidental brutal kicking...

Owya...

The darks, my team, ran out eventual winners by just one goal – the lead passing between the teams several times throughout the hour...

A few quite superb goals were scored but, for the second week running, none was from the boots of your correspondent...

Back home for lovely pesto chicken followed by the first in the third series of “Heroes” – I’m sure I’ll have better things to do on these upcoming autumnal/wintery Wednesday nights...

Anne advised Mr James Jamieson had called while I was footballing, so perhaps we shall convene soon for some music making...

Up to the PC to rip and load the new acquisitions, while a search in the cupboard located a double 12” single of “You Got the Power” by Win, a much sought after item by chum Chris-with-a-Ch which will be making the transition shortly from vinyl to CD...

Last thing "Jamie's Ministry of Food" was an uplifting, life affirming watch - Mr Oliver is a good man, I believe...

Highlight of the Day : Has to be the fives – knackering but most enjoyable indeed...

*Crispets are very cheaply made coconut chocolate sweets, probably utilising some kind of nasty chocolate substitute – whenever I’m in a sweet shop and I see them in a jar, I have to by a bagful and eat till I feel sick – although I’ve not purchased and “enjoyed” any crispets for several years now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am rather partial to Belle and Sebastien...can't quite understand your antipathy...give me them over Girls Aloud (to whom you appear to be quite partial) any day. If I want pop, it's Ricky Martin for me!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Ah but I've actually listened to Girls Aloud whereas I'm prejudiced against Belle & Sebastian because they seem to be popular for no real reason other than being shambling and amateurish - the couple of tracks I've heard so far from the album I bought yesterday were quite good though and it comes with a free DVD of a BBC Scotland concert I saw at the time and secretly reasonably anjoyed...

They don't beat Girls Aloud though...