Saturday, August 09, 2008

Mainly on the plain...

Playlist
Various – Two Minute Tracks
Roy Wood – Boulders
No-Man – Schoolyard Ghosts
Adès – Life Story
Gershwin - Strike Up the Band
Gershwin, arr. Yarde - My Man's Gone Now (Porgy and Bess)
Yarde - Rhythm and Other Fascinations
Stravinsky - Ebony Concerto
Bernstein: Prelude, Fugue and Riffs
Simcock - Progressions for piano and orchestra
Gershwin - An American in Paris
Bernstein – West Side Story : Symphonic Dances

Up early to see a reasonable morning, weather-wise, soon turn to rain yet again...

Compiled a selection (around 100) of two minute tracks (1:20-2:10) for some CD compilations for the car....

After breakfast, the first of these accompanied our drive into Edinburgh through the rain...

A few tasks were accomplished, including my purchase of a small pedometer...

Back home and I listened to two albums which arrived today from Amazon – No-Man’s excellent latest album, “Schoolyard Ghosts” – the first of around seven of their albums I own, which I’ve actually bought around the time of its release - and Roy Wood’s 1973 classic, “Boulders”...



I hadn’t realised, until I read Mr Wood’s own liner notes, that this, his first solo album, was actually ready for release in 1969 but was delayed by management for nearly four years due to his other work with The Move, ELO and Wizzard...

I’d been thinking of going to Dunfermline today for the Queens game but the continuing rain put me off and, while Anne enjoyed Hearts winning their first game of the season (3-2 v Motherwell), I popped in and out of the BBC website to see my team go ahead but eventually succumb 2-1 – so two games in, QoS are 8th in the league – another dismal start....

While doing this, I was playing through some of my songs again – still almost completely uninspiring and indeed uninspired...

Lovely home made soup for tea tonight as the weather reverted to “downpour” mode...

Spent some quality time listening to a disc of music by composer Thomas Adès which I must have had for around 10 years, having probably previously only listened to once before filing away (as is the case with so many of my CDs)...



I was drawn to this by a recommendation from The Bad Plus’ Ethan Iverson in a recent blog entry...

Tasty...

Then settled down to watch tonight’s BBC Prom, number 31, billed as “a jazz-infused programme”...

An excellent programme, including three world premieres, one from ex-Earthworks pianist, Gwilym Simcock...



Two hours well spent, despite the dreadful wittering between pieces from the presenter and the so-called experts on hand...

Nothing worse than dead air?

Yes, there most certainly is and it’s the wittering of idiots and sports commentators – take them away please and let’s just see and hear the crowd as if we were at the event ourselves – after all, the people actually in attendance don’t need commentary and comment...

Inspired by the Prom, I retired to the music room for half an hour of Bernstein...

Then, “Mock the Week” entertained – especially the brilliant Frankie Boyle – as did “My Name is Earl”...

I was kept out of bed by a dreadful film, “Matador” (featuring music by The Killers and Asia) starring the world’s worst actor, Pierce Brosnan, followed by another, starring Will Ferrell, which I, eventually, switched off before turning in for the night...

Not really a great day all in all...

Highlight of the Day : The Proms

No comments: