Monday, August 04, 2008

Juicy glam folk...

Playlist
UK –The Best of UK (CD-R)
The Guess Who – Greatest Hits
Various – Velvet Goldmine (OST)
Bert Jansch – Running From Home : An Introduction
Tangerine Dream – Green Desert

Ah FOPP, where would I be without you?



Well, probably a lot richer but with a lot less music to listen to...

Inspired by a couple of shouts from Stuart Cobley on Saturday night, I enjoyed the sounds of UK and The Guess Who today as I walked along to my favourite ever shop in the history of shops...

They have just started a new offering re Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and Pentangle with (not) quite literally hundreds of CDs at £3...

They also have the earliest Tangerine Dream albums (the pre-Virgin ones) at just £3 and I am seriously thinking of replacing my copies of “Zeit”, “Atem”, “Alpha Centauri” and “Electronic Meditation” for these newer versions as they actually come in the real artwork rather than very shabby turquoise rubbish sleeves of the versions I have...

I did buy “Green Desert”, which I didn’t have (until today) and which comprises the demos recorded by Edgar Frose and Chris Franke to secure a deal with Virgin in 1973...

The tapes were shelved in favour of “Phaedra” (my favourite TD album) which was recorded once Peter Baumann had returned from holiday...



I was disappointed to glean from the liner notes that the original demos no longer exist as Froese added overdubs in 1984 and it is these amended versions which are on this disc – still sounds great to these ears though...

Lastly, the soundtrack to glam rock film “Velvet Goldmine” from 1999 featuring originals by Eno, Roxy, Cockney Rebel, Lou Reed and T Rex along with covers of Bryan Ferry, Roxy, Eno, NY Dolls, Iggy, T Rex and Cockney Rebel and a spattering of (then) brand new songs , performed in the Glam tradition...

The new stuff and the covers feature members of Radiohead, Sonic Youth and the Stooges...

Nice...

In the evening, after a very tasty salmon fillet with zingy salad and boiled potatoes, the first of a new Richard Dawkins series on Charles Darwin giving the God botherers another one in the eye, entertained...

Go on yersel’ Dick...

Ended the day with another rather absurd episode of "Numb3rs"...

Highlight of the Day : New music/New Dawkins

2 comments:

Sid Smith said...

Hi there Mr.CBQ,
we don't have a fopp in my neck of the wooods but if we did I'd be replacing my copies of Atem and Zeit. £6.00 for the two?
If you pick them up for me I'll send you a cheque and postage! Seriously!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

It's a done deal Mr Sid - will mail you when they have been procured...