Saturday, December 01, 2007

Pick up the pieces...

Playlist
King Crimson – 21st Century Guide to King Crimson Vol 1
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Ersatzreal
Frost* - Milliontown
Magic Pie – Motions of Desire
Mansun – Little Kix
Various – Trance Masters
Starz – Starz
Dio – Lock Up the Wolves
Average White Band – The Very Best of
Starz – Attention Shoppers

Up reasonably early, earliest recently in any case – the last few weekends I’ve been sleeping in...

Did some stuff on the PC then bade farewell to Anne and Meg the Black Cat and set off down the road for the bus. There are some lovely leaves around at the moment...



And the moon was still out...



A podiatrist appointment beckoned followed by a meet with Dr Prog at the latest Record Fair..

I wasn’t feeling my best, still suffering a bit from the last two days and, as yet I’d not eaten today and I’d not taken any painkillers since around lunchtime on Thursday...

Not good...

My first purchases were a cracking double disc of the best Trance music around...



...and Mansun’s third album...



At Bert Muirhead’s stall (former proprietor of Greyfrier’s Market and Ezy Ryder), I picked up two classic heavy Kiss-like pop-rock albums by the band Starz – their eponymous debut used to grace my record collection back in the seventies and it was great to hear it again...

I had to check the jukebox to see if I already had Dio’s “Lock Up the Wolves” and found I didn’t – even although I was convinced I did...

A greatest hits set from Average White Band also brought back great memories from the seventies, containing as it does old long lost favourites like “Cut the Cake” and “Pick up the Pieces” and their “B” sides, “Person to Person” and “You Got It” – tasty – of all the content on this disc it is the drumming which impresses me most and puts me in mind of the mighty Billy Cobham...



Perhaps it is now time for me to search out works by Earth Wind & Fire?

Dr Prog accrued some Wagner DVDs for his troubles and we headed to the nearby Standing Order for brunch and a chat...

He reminded me of three great recent prog albums by Frost*, Magic Pie and The Tangent – the first two of which I listened to on the jukebox...



...as I made my way home past the cathedral to catch a bus...



I was travelling via public transport as Anne was off with her mum to Tynecastle to see Hearts snatch a 1-1 draw with Celtic – with a last minute penalty – sweet...

In a six pointer in Division 1, QoS managed a 0-0 draw away at Clyde, having had three shots cleared off Clyde’s line as well as “hitting the woodwork” as they say, while I reacquainted myself with the great sounds of Starz and Dio...

A call from Count Brodski advised he didn’t make it to the Fair due to work commitments which he’d actually missed due to some tummy gyp – seems it’s going around right now...

There are several radioactive patches around the Gallery of Modern Art apparently after he had to jump from a cab the other night to ensure no large taxi cleaning bill...

In the evening my listening continued as we watched Arsenal hang on for a 2-1 win away at Aston Villa followed by another good “Robin Hood” episode...

I retreated upstairs with AWB as Anne watched “Strictly Come Dancing” on tape...

Spent some considerable time reading Robert Fripp’s diary – my favourite link...

Then, finally succumbed to sleep during “Match of the Day”...

Highlight of the Day : Rediscovered gems...

No comments: