Saturday, June 02, 2007

A song by Syd...

Playlist
Vanhal – Violin Concertos
Uriah Heep – Conquest
Dave Cloud & Gospel of Power – Napoleon of Temperance
The Beach Boys – Smiley Smile

Up early and breakfasted at home after last night’s debacle – feeling a little the worse for wear...

Texted my apologies to brother-in-law Keith, who responded that he’d found my phone call “very entertaining”....

The first of the two Heep albums I’ve bought arrived. Even the sleevenotes themselves refer to it as Heep’s worst ever album...

To Helen the podiatrist for 10 and then on into town to meet up with Dr Prog at the music library where I borrowed a two disc set of Four Tet remixes, further two disc sets by Kenny Dorham and Ike Quebec and single disc from the Dave Holland Quintet...

Tasty..

After some scrabbling around for cash by the Prog-man (RBS’ systems had gone down) we spent an enjoyable hour or so just talking about music and stuff in Uncle T’s Mediterranean Café at Greyfriars where we partook of the Uncle’s fine coffee and pannini...

Phil (Dr Prog) also supplied me with 2 2DVD sets, one by Roger Waters and one by The Flower Kings...

Tasty again..

Then to Avalanche and Fopp in Cockburn St – on the way Phil pointed out that Lucy Kaplansky is playing in Edinbugh in December, so I snapped up two tickets....

In Avalanche, I bought a two disc sampler set of Harmonia Mundi’s Bach edition, along with discs by Dave Cloud and The Beach Boys (you’ll recall I’m not a fan of the latter, having failed miserably last year or the year before to find much of worth in their so-called classic, “Pet Sounds”)...

As Phil headed off into the threatening to rain afternoon, I made my way back to the car, and, on the way home, enjoyed the rather weird music of Mr Cloud...

At the house, Anne’s best friend Lynn and her partner Ross were visiting and had brought me a present – a mountain bike!!

Apparently, their neighbour got it from Foster’s Lager in some kind of promotional thing and had never used it – he gave it to Lynn and Ross but they both already have bikes and so thought of me...

It took me back to my childhood as I rode around the streets for an hour or so this afternoon...

Although I must have looked like a fat tube on a bike – I didn’t care...

Later on, I compiled and ran through a potential full set list for any gigs which may raise their heads this summer – I would use backing tracks and this was a trial – it sounded ok...

On the way and back from collecting an Indian takeaway (it tasted better than it looks), I listened to The Beach Boys - other than the two singles, "Heroes and Villains" and the sublime "Good Vibrations", very disappointing....



Dinner was followed by a run through my 20 minute set for the Ferry Fringe next weekend – again I’ll be looking to use backing tracks...

The evening was rounded off by “CSI:New York” and “Law & Order”..

Definitely a good day...

Highlight of the Day : I have a bike (no pics yet though)...

No comments: