Friday, June 01, 2007

Another incident...

Playlist
Uriah Heep – Sea of Light
Uriah Heep – Sonic Origami

Started the day listening to the two most recent Uriah Heep albums in preparation for the two I bought last night, one of which precedes these two, the other of which is their third following their “golden period” of 1970-76...

These two I listened to today are actually quite good rock albums even though, to me they don’t really sound like the Heep....

Tonight I was out on the ran-dan with chums Kris-with-a-K, non-karaoker Gary, my brother-in-law’s namesake, Keith and three others...

A quick drink in Tigerlily was followed by a meal at The Living Room including rather too much red wine and gin & tonic for your correspondent...

We went back to Tigerlily but were denied entry on account of our sex. The doormen advised the bar had too many men in it already....

I made some disparaging remarks as we headed over the road to Bar 38 for more drink...

Then back to Tigerlily, and four of my colleagues ahead of me made it in before I was stopped and advised that, because of what I’d said earlier, I wouldn’t now be allowed entry...

Suffice to say, a contretemps ensued, which resulted in me apparently being barred from Tigerlily “for life”...



Oh dear – how will I cope...

In a vain attempt to contact “Keith” inside the pub, I accidentally called my brother-in-law on his mobile and launched into a tirade, doubting the parentage of the doormen, who continued to bar my way – apparently there was much swearing and cursing and general drunkenness – until Keith explained I must’ve called the wrong number...

Eventually, our four colleagues emerged to find out why the rest of the party hadn’t followed them in...

Bidding our farewells to the doormen and their manager, all of whom seemed strangely reluctant to shake my hand and let bygones be bygones, we walked along to Le Monde and gained entry without incident...

Meanwhile Anne was on a night out with her friend Michelle and a few others. We’d agreed we’d meet up at some point - however, I’d texted Anne and advised we were in The Dome, which is next door to Le Monde...

All these bars, on Edinburgh's George St - The Living Room, Tigerlily, The Dome, Le Monde - are just wanky overpriced places with far-too-loud music and vacuous, over-paid or maxed-out-card clientelle - including, tonight, yours truly (though I was on a freebie) - I really shouldn’t be allowed to partake of the demon drink...

After ten missed calls from Anne, I finally checked my phone and called her to advise of my true location – oh how we laughed! (kind of)...

More drinking and carousing ensued, then Anne and I accompanied Michelle for her bus home, an exercise which took around 30 minutes to accomplish – and, on our return to Le Monde, our drinking buddies had moved on to pastures new, no dout thinking we’d not be returning (or perhaps dumping their "newly barred friend”)...

And so the night ended with a taxi home - a journey of which, as ever in these situations, I have no recollection whatsoever...

Possibly a good night...

Highlight of the Day : Barred “for life” from one of the many rubbish overcharging pubs in George Street...

No comments: