Saturday, June 09, 2007

CBQ @ SQF...

Playlist
Uriah Heep – Conquest
Uriah Heep – Different World
Coldplay - Remixes
Holdsworth Bruce Cobham – A Gathering of Minds
Beck - Symphonies 
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Souvenir XIV 1997-2007 
Various – Ibiza Euphoria 
Grandaddy – Concrete Dunes 

Up at 6 today and downstairs with Meg the Black Cat. She sat on the TV while I listened to my two recent mighty Uriah Heep purchases...

   

To the computer and I decided to have a look through the download sites. Found an album of Coldplay remixes and yet another Allan Holdsworth recording I don’t have – a live concert from 1982 which also features Bily Cobham on drums and Jack Bruce on bass... 

One last quick, quiet rehearsal and I realised I can now play these six songs without the aid of my music and lyric sheets... 

 Then uptown to meet old chum Count Brodski at the record fair..... 

 Mr Brodie purchased around 11 vinyl albums and a DVD. I realised that if I bought an LP it would be my first since around 1987... 

I didn’t... 

I did however purchase a double CD of “Ibiza Euphoria”, two more Trojan Reggae 3 disc boxes which I’ll probably never listen to (I still haven’t listened to much of the two 9 disc sets I bought a few weeks ago), a disc of rarities by Grandaddy (which I will definitely listen to) and, to fill a hole in my comprehensive record collection, “The Essential Bruce Springsteen” – worth £2.99 just for “Born to Run”... 

 We met Anne I Starbucks where Brodders and I had a tasty Tall Latte each...

   

Then I bade farewell to my chums and drove home, got changed, picked up the guitar and CD player for the backing tracks and headed down to South Queensferry for the Ferry Fringe gig... 

The final line-up for the day was Tommy Mackay, Sparrahawk, CBQ, Lindsay Sugden, Confushian, James Whyte, Norman Lamont and Impossible Songs, with Norman rounding off the day with some soundscapes...

 

I was pleased with my own performance and, from all accounts, it sounded pretty good, the backing tracks allowing people to hear the “real” CBQ sound instead of a not-very-good-acoustic-guitarist-with-only-one-method-of-strumming...

   

The souvenir CDs all but sold out... 

The weather was gorgeous but I’m afraid I received a bit of a burning from “My Friend the Sun”...

   

This wasn’t helped at all by standing chatting to two young ladies of SQF for some considerable time. They wanted to know what my music was like as they’d been off buying chips while I’d been playing...

The Souvenir CD should help to clear matters up and I hope they enjoy it...

   

Drove home, eschewing the chance to stay on for the open-mic night... 

To Tesco for Lottery ticket and food then “The Culture Show”, another brilliant “Dr Who”, “CSI : New York” and, rounding off a burning hot day, Alice Cooper’s “Welcome To My Nightmare” show from London 1975, shown on BBC 4... 

Highlight of the Day : CBQ at SQF

1 comment:

impossible songs said...

It was a rather good day all round, love the montage, will stick it on our blog in due course, naturaly we've not got a full range of photos, see you Friday. The open mike was a success also.