Saturday, June 16, 2007

Work and play...

Playlist
Karl von Ordonez - Symphonies
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Ersatzreal
Cream - Fresh Cream

Worked on the new album today, firstly doing a mock up of the CD with all the drum intros used as count ins to the tracks removed...

With Anne still not emerging from her slumbers by midday, I drove into town through the wind and rain(!!) to return my borrowed CDs to the library...

Stopped off at Tesco on the way home for lunch provisions and found a copy of Cream's debut album from 1966 for a mere £2...

Back home, Anne was up and surfing the net, so I listened to Clapton, Bruce & Baker. The first side was "no bad", the second was "no good"....

Then back to work and I had chosen five songs for which I needed to re-record/produce parts...

"The Secret of My Success" - thinking of re-naming this "Another Day, Another Song" - worked on backing vocals for this and also re-recorded the lead vocal, call and response stylee in two takes...

"Waiting to Die" - re-recorded the lead vocal...

"No Concrete Idea" - I worked on the second, long chorus to try and make it more interesting - and discovered I'd lost the backing vocals, so they had to be redone too...

"Lights Out" - re-recorded the lead vocal - the current recording was done quietly as I'd sung the words into the computer line by line, as each was written...

"Starting to Worry" - disovered I didn't have a Cakewalk bundle for this song, so I had to create it from scratch - then I re-recorded the lead vocal...

By the time I was finished it was gone 5 o'clock and, as I listened back, I realised that the new vocal on"Starting to Worry" was rubbish, the new vocal on "Lights Out" had lost all the original's charm and that more work was needed on "No Concrete Idea"...

The first two tracks I'd worked on were a success though...

In the evening we bussed it down to Leith to meet up with Anne's brother Keith and his partner, Maureen...

We met in one of our favourite Edinburgh pubs, The Shore Bar...



..we had a table booked round the corner at a little Italian restaurant, Domenicos....



The food was lovely and the drink flowed - as usual whenever I mix lager and red wine (not in the same glass), I'm afraid I got pretty drunk...



... we ended the evening in Iso Bar where I had some Japanese and some Belgian lager just for good measure...

We met Mr Martin Lennon there, discovering it's his local - I seem to recall discussing the merits of early Genesis with him but, by this time (around 1am) my memory was getting a little hazy...

Just in time, the bar closed and so we took a taxi back to Crispycat Towers...

Suffice to say, I don't remember getting home...

A good day of work and play...

Highlight of the Day : A day in the studio/a night on the town

No comments: