Thursday, May 24, 2007

The pear incident...

Playlist
Golden Earring - To The Hilt
Joni Mitchell - Travelogue
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Eeels - Daisies of the Galaxy
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Anthology 1977-2007

This morning as I headed into town, in my patented Ikea "man bag" I had my trusty Kodak camera (b. 12 1 2006)...

I also had a couple of sandwiches, wrapped in clingfilm, an umbrella (possibly a woman's umbrella), the latest edition of The Wire, and, what had been a last minute "healthy" addition to the contents, a lovely pear....

Around midday, I reached into the bag and withdrew the sandwiches and consumed them (as ever, probably more quickly than I should have)...

Around 2pm, I had a hankering for the lovely pear and went to the man bag again...

On opening the bag I found to my dismay that the so-called "lovely" pear had now disintegrated into a mushy mess all over my trusty Kodak camera (d. 24 5 2007)...

I tried in vain to resuscitate my little friend and it even managed 8 rather bad, out of focus shots before it gave up the ghost...

Here's the little fella's last portrait of your correspondent, slightly treated to make it less pathetic...



You can just about make out the look of despondency on my face as I attempted to clean up this little machine which has provided me with so much entertainment and recorded many an episode over the last 497 days...

The final message on the wee screen was "Error #145 Consult Handbook"....

When I got home this evening to spend hours on the internet researching a replacement, I consulted the handbook..

"Error #145 : Mashed pear may have penetrated your camera and twatted it beyond use - get a new one..."

Lowlight of the Day : Dead camera...

4 comments:

EmbraBampot said...

Laugh? I just about choked on my bacon roll Cloudy...

Your cameras last ever photograph is just an absolute gem.

May I suggest a few song titles for your next compilation?

Pearway to heaven
Wash that man right out of my pear
Pearless whisper
Love will pear us apart
Pearperback writer
Oh! You Peary Things
Pear she goes
Easter pearade
Mother of Pear
I Found that essence pear
And finally...
(by one of your favourite ever songwriters)
A pear of brown eyes

Ho ho ho.

They do say that what goes around comes around, so maybe that was some sort of retribution for you wearing a "man bag".

On an even more lighter note, have you ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNXaQFP5amE

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Ah BigBalls - welcome aboard...

I appreciate your list - I love a list...

..apart from the pearogues...

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

...and the youtube clip is excellent

EmbraBampot said...

Nice one. Yes there is no denying that the guy who produced the time lapse movie (Ewen Meldrun) is very talented. Good luck with the new camera.