Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Not superstitious...

Playlist
Uriah Heep - Rarities

When I was writing yesterday's entry I was trying to remember the two stories Sister Pam told us last night about my dad and the house in Loanhead in which my mum still lives...

Today I remembered them...

Apparently, when my mum and dad bought the house, they saw that two or three other couples had put down a deposit on the plot before them but had withdrawn their offers. This was because, when they were told the number the house would have on its door, they got cold feet...

The house is number 13...



However, my dad said that, as his youngest daughter (Pam) had been born on 13 June, he had no qualms about the number and so they got the house...

Indeed Pam was born on my dad's mother's birthday...

Prior to that decision however, he made another which, had it gone the other way, would have changed my entire life...

Our family lived in Paisley and my dad received a transfer to Edinburgh and so they had to find somewhere to live. Favouring an out of town location, at the bus station in Edinburgh, my dad asked an inspector how long it took on the bus to get to Penicuik and how long to Loanhead (he didn't have a car)...

Having been advised that the journey time to Penicuik was around 20 minutes longer, he decided we would live in Loanhead...

It's a funny old world..

I relate these stories as nothing much happened today other than Seville winning the UEFA Cup on penalties after a reasonably exciting game, and another entertaining episode of "Desperate Housewives"...

Highlight of the Day : Remembering stories

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aye but don't you think those 20 minutes are worth it?

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Penicuik has its moments, as does Loanhead. I prefer Edinburgh though...