Saturday, June 01, 2024

Same songs, 40 years on...

Playlist
BADBADNOTGOOD - Mid Spiral: Order
Aki Yli-Salomäki & Antti Salovaara - Matala
Cloudland Blue Quartet - The Sin of the Spark (Single)
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Everything Ends (Mastered)
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Mercurial
Capital Models - 2024-05-25 Leith Dockers Club
Love Parade - Half the Civilised World
Various - Cloudland Blue Eclectic Selection 2024 Vols 21 & 22

Saturday and the cat was up early...


Trying to impress to get some early biscuits...


It worked of course...


It was Meadows Festival Day and I realised it was 40 years ago this weekend that Count Brodski and I played at said festival as Love Parade, performing the whole of our then just released cassette, "Half the Civilised World"...

I came up with the idea of heading along to the Out of the Bedroom stage and, if I could secure a slot, playing two of the songs we did all those years ago...

And so I chose and learned two of the songs and printed out song sheets to take with me...

Then, a walk down the hill, accompanied by Bianca from next door to the main street...


...and then, on to the Corstorphine Fair...




...where pakoras were enjoyed in the company of Lynn and some pipes and drums and baton twirling cheerleaders...


The pakoras were very good - from the St John's Curry Club...



We ended up at the "arena", watching one of Lynn's friend's (Anne);'s husband playing bass in the jazz band Busking Sharks...


Here he is...


...and here are Anne and Lynn...



The band's impressive setlist included Stevie Wonder, Weather Report and Santana faves...




Around 12:30, I left the ladies (and gents) and made my way into town...

I'd contacted Brodski and he was on his way...

We needed to find the stage at "G"...


I alighted at the Usher Hall and walked to the Meadows - in doing so, I passed chum Spike's old Indian Restaurant - which has been a successful pizza place for a goodly number of years - however, today, it has shut down...


Onwards and I found the OOTB area, with Jim Bryce, Scott Renton and Jim Igoe in attendance...


Mr Borrowed Robes was good...


Then, Columbian rapper, Riddimental rocked up with his laptop and gave us three numbers in Spanish with full backing, leaving as quickly thereafter as he'd arrived...


Then it was Mr CBQ - here the "crowd" just before I went on...


...at 2:20...


I played "Take This Man"...


...and "Funny Funny" from the afore-mentioned 1984 Love Parade cassette release...


...both of which went down surprisingly well...

I was followed by the very good Adult Beginner...


...and, later, Scott Renton...


...by which time the Count had arrived...


Young "Rebecca" sang along to a Rhianna track, much to the delight of her two friends...


...while "Roger" played some leftfield looping guitar stuff with long tubes sticking out of his glasses...


By this time Brodders and I had had a couple of drinks and some chat with Scott and we bade the OOTB stage farewell and set off in search for any interesting stalls...


We eventually found a couple selling some CDs and, of course, we partook...










Mucho junko to be had but we settled for just some CDs...


On the walk along to Tollcross, I won this daisy for kicking an abandoned hamburger for some kids...


To the Ventoux Tavern for more drinks and chat...




We were joined by a couple of guys, Irish and English, the latter's wife was from Bremen...


More chat ensued...


Time moved on and, eventually, it was home time...

Me and Al walked down to Shandwick Place, from where I got a bus to the top of the hill...


As I walked past the path that goes in front of our house, I saw a gathering of the ladies of the street and their children and ended up talking to them all and, then, getting my guitar out and making up songs for the kids...

Yes, I may well have been just a little the worse for wear...

Later on tonight, a message from Jorg that Manu is in hospital and has had a back operation to relieve pains in her arms, legs and spine...

Not good at all - although she does seem to be making progress...


...which is what we are hoping for now to continue...

A not too great end to an otherwise enjoyable Saturday...

Same songs, 40 years on...

Highlight of the Day : Out with Brodski...

Today's New Music:-

No comments: