Monday, June 19, 2023

Demolishing and creating...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Two Two One Zero
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Brahms

A day of demolition and creation...

Up late...



The final picture of the old kitchen as we awaited the workies at 8am...


They duly arrived and the work started...




Soon, not much remained...





Evidence of old paint matching...



The new stuff will arrive tomorrow...


The scene on the departure of the workers...


Meanwhile, I spent almost all day writing ten new songs...

Ed Sheerin said that there are "only so many chords in the world" (there are actually over 2,200 different chords) and that's why his blatant rip off of the chord sequences of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" wasn't a rip off but just "a coincidence"...

Given I’ve never heard any of Sheerin’s songs it would, of course, be mere coincidence if any of my melodies or lyrics were to resemble his - he has won several plagiarism trials on the basis that a chord sequence, per se, cannot be copyrighted...

That’s what gave me the idea for this LP, which is based on Sheerin backing tracks for songs I've never heard in my puff...

As you can see, I worked quickly, starting around 8:30 and completing five by just after one, followed by a further two in the late afternoon and another three while Anne was at Pilates in the evening...


On her return, macaroni cheese and the last couple available episodes of "Deadloch" enjoyed before listening back and being somewhat disappointed by my day's work...

But that's always the way...

I'd provided MP3s to Sparky though and his take on matters was rather brighter:-

"OMG...

"Everything Ends" is an absolute thing of beauty. Want want want want want want want want want.

Holy shit I love this

Not so fussed about the choice of beat. Needs to be more 'delicate' I think

Love love love this track

The vocal on "Everything Ends" doesn't need re-done. Sounds perfect to me. To re-do it may spoil that first take beauty.



On the fence about "Tragic Magic" at the moment. The music is top notch, can't make up my mind about the vocal being sung so high.



"The Best Thing" is another CBQ classic. Yup.

I'd ditch the 'finger snaps' and perhaps replace with a low, deep mallet sound. Personal preference, that's all.

The guitars and strings in "Best Thing" are a joy. Are these you, or samples?



Oh man "The Limo" is top top notch too. A voice, a pee-yanni and a bassline. And then that soft pad towards the end. Perfection.

My god, this is the best song based album album you've done in years man



Hmmm not yet too fussed about "I Am Up". I don't think the vocal has the same energy as the music.



"You Moved On" is a nice track. I'm now intrigued by these orchestral arrangements..



"The Colours..." is another really nice track. Not much needed to take that out of demo. Not even sure the vocal needs re-done, it just needs mixed better to sit in the track a bit better. Top notch... again.



Love the arrangement and chords on "Stars"

"We can order some spaghetti..." 😆 love it

Only think the "12345" count on "Stars" seems a bit cheesy



Not down with "Down", sorry



Back on track with "Decades" though. Another very very very high quality track there



That's my initial, first listen, first impression review right there! Overall, it's absolutely fantastic! I NEED to be a part of this project in some way or another!"


...which buoyed...

Bad news late on though...

Sheila had advised yesterday that Cassie the Dog was having an op today to remove a lump and it turns out, rather than being a "fatty lump", the wee 13 year old has cancer...

Prognosis awaited...

Lights out...

Highlight of the Day : Writing 10 new lyrics from scratch...

Today's New Music:-

No comments: