Sunday, June 25, 2023

Just broken...

Playlist
Various - Cloudland Blue Eclectic Selections 2023

This is the day I've not been looking forward to writing up...

But I need to get through it...

So here goes...

The view from the office this morning...


Up and ready to travel - no chattering drug abusers this morning, which was good...


I went up to the balcony at the top of the building for the views...


Swifts were flying around, catching insects and feeding their young...



Further views...


I could see Gary's hotel from here...


...and, in the other direction, the spot where I breakfasted yesterday...


Out...

And looking up to where I'd been...


Breakfast from Carrefour yet again and I found a quiet spot - on a roundabout...



The police drove by and spoke to me - I did not understand what they said but got the gist that I really ought to move...


To the station and worked out, with the help of the lady at the ticket counter, that I could go to Tarragona today...

And so, tickets bought, off I went...






I was soon underway - and would have to change trains at Sant Vicenc de Calders...






I had hoped to perhaps make a stop here but my next train arrived almost immediately...


...and we were off again...



...arriving at Tarragona just over an hour after leaving Sitges...

By this time chums Yuill and Bernardo were probably already landed back in Edinburgh...



Alighted and started the walk up to the town...


Once again, it was roasting...


But I had my hat on and was trying my best to walk in the shade...



I found myself on Tarragona's very own Rambla...



...and took a walk along, taking in the excellent views...




This was the Monumento a los Castellers - seems to be a tradition in Catalonia - I saw this on TV re a film on Barcelona the other day...

Madness...








Cool refreshment was sought and found...



The beast was about its business under a blazing sun...


More walking...


These fountains have long since dried up...


A nearby park almost enticed me in but I was looking for the old town...


...and, after more walking in the hot sun...



...I found it...



...including this Roman column...


The hand of the beast on a remnant of an empire...






Onwards...



...and up...


...towards...





...the cathedral...




...and surrounding district...






Beautiful and almost deserted...







Eventually, I approached the cathedral itself...





...and the surrounding streets...








I noted a market of sorts...



...and had a look around the various stalls...





From this one of unique stones and fossils and crystals...


...items were purchased...



Into the cathedral itself...


...noting swift nests above the door...







...and out...



At this stall, two classical sets purchased for just 3 of your European Euros...



Jordi Savall...


...and a 3CD set, sadly without its big book and card case - not to worry...


More stalls beckoned but no further purchases made...



More exploring...








I found the gallery of Modern Art, just as it closed at 2pm - on a Sunday?  Weird...


To a nearby square...



...and some trusty shandy purchased...


...and saxophone busking enjoyed...



After a good long rest, I started to wend my way back down towards the railway station...




It was quite hot...





I found the Roman Amphitheatre...


Impressive...







...but it was time to head back...




As I arrived at the station and checked the board I realised I faced almost an hour's wait...



So I went in search of a very late lunch...


Tortilla on a roll - a Spanish classic!



Finally back on the train...




At Sant Vicenc de Calders, the board said 6 minutes till the next train for Sitges...

Sadly, it turned out to be around 46...


It was still roasting...




At last, back in Sitges and, as I walked back to the hotel I spotted what looked to be a nice wee bar...


Meanwhile, pictures from home...




...including the first cooking action...



All going according to plan...

I readied myself for the last night - I was to meet with Gary and Dave down at Parrot's Bar and then we were going out for pasta...


It remained far too hot for an overweight Scotsman dressed in black...


Before heading to Parrots, I went back to the wee bar I'd seen and ordered a beer and sat outside...


The two girls at the bar were from Columbia - one was over for a month visiting cousins across Europe, which included Cecilia, who manages the bar and who had her wee puppy, Rita in with her... 


A lovely wee dog indeed...




I was so taken with the place and, as we'd spent so much time already at Parrots, I messaged Gaz and Dave to join me for a couple of drinks, after which we'd go for dinner...

I was communicating with the ladies via a translation app on their phone...


Dave and Gary duly arrived and a good time was being had by all...



The bar soon started to fill up with regulars and the ladies' friends...

And then, the night and, for me, the holiday came to a terrible end...

Somehow, Rita had gotten off her lead and she ran out the door of the bar just as a huge car drove past...

She went under its back wheels...

It was absolutely awful and I must confess I am tearful as I write that the wee dog died right there in front of our table after a minute or so...

I won't forget this...

I am haunted by it...

I did my best to console Cecilia as wee Rita's body was wrapped in a blanket and laid back inside the bar...

I couldn't do anything now but go home...

I said my farewells and walked back to the hotel, absolutely broken...

Lowlight of the Day : The death of Rita the puppy...

Today's New Music:-

No comments: