Monday, February 11, 2008

Tasteless and annoying...

Playlist
Cobra Dorado – The Mysterious Life & Death of Judiah Too Young Man
Sparks – Hello Young Lovers
Sparks – Li’l Beethoven
Thelonious Monk -10CD Box Set
Patti Smith – Horses

To the hospital this morning for some tests which hopefully will prove I’m reasonably healthy for someone nearly 50, even if they are overweight and haven’t really had much exercise for over two years due to an ankle break followed by two shoulder operations...

I have re-enlisted for Wednesday night 5-a-sides and await a call up...

One of my favourite bands, Sparks, has announced they will play 21 consecutive nights in London this summer, performing each of their albums in their entirety and in chronological order, ending with the world premier of their new LP...

This led me to listen to their last two albums – their last, “Hello Young Lovers” was my favourite album of 2006...

Following the success of the Miles Davis 10CD Box I purchased another today – this time by pianist Thelonious Monk, whose career started some years prior to that of Davis. Consequently, the entire set’s in mono and the first few tracks bear the crackles of transfers from 78RPM discs (ask yer gran’ma)...

I also could not pass up a 2CD set of Patti Smith’s classic 1975 debut “Horses” – which I remember hearing at a party at my school a couple of weeks after it was unleashed and a good year or so before we’d even heard of punk rock...

Back home I wasted some considerable time tonight not being able to get on to the internet – however, this allowed me to abandon the PC and listen to several of Mr Monk’s CDs - after the first few tracks the quality is much improved and the music was just the job re soundtracking my reading of a book on Minimalist Art, including a piece on one of my favourites, Dan Flavin, who died in 1996, the same year this piece was exhibited...



On TV “Curb Your Enthusiasm” was excellent once again after a slow start...

As you can see, finally got on to the net just after 11 pm - one of the reasons I wanted to gain access was to see a message some anonymous caller had left on my mobile phone...

It turned out to be a tasteless pic of Superman, Batman and Robin with their rather large super-hero sized nether regions exposed to me in all their glory...

Not tasty...

Highlight of the Day : Larry David’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently borrowed a Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane live cd, recorded somewhere during some summer sessions which i found very dull.
Very 1960's jazz which makes me think of 'Bullit' (Steve McQueen film). I know they are fantastic musicians but it does nothing for me.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I found a love for jazz once new avenues on "so-called" mainstream music had been exhausted - maybe it's an age thing - you're still a young whiper-snapper after all!!

Anonymous said...

I do love earlier stuff my dad listens to like, Kid Ory, Satchmo and Jelly Roll Morton, which was the kind of jazz that first made me listen to more.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Fair enough Stu. I don't like trad jazz...